TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery  (Read 6707 times)

ceved

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »
Can we or are we already utilizing the remastering efforts of others who may be looking to only produce a vinyl release in order not to have to start from scratch on each release?  Or is that not kosher?
This is not a criticism.
It seemed to me that one or more of the jazz releases on the TP were also recently done in the primo vinyl treatment.
That does not bother me in the least.
The parallel I am drawing is that at least for awhile Sun Dazed Records would release a vinyl version of material that had been done as a remastered CD for CBS Sony a year or two earlier.  The connection was that the remastering engineer worked for Sony and was an owner of Sun Dazed.
Not quite the same arrangement.  But Sony didn't seem threatened by a vinyl release.
Would this broaden the readily available titles from which you are choosing?
Again I appreciate that you need to be delicate in not tipping your hand here.
There is a start up company Because Music Matters (or something like that) remastering Blue Note jazz on 45RPM 180 gram vinyl.  Chad Kassem is doing the same.
Perhaps there is possible synergy there.
Some of the pop suggestions have come up more than once Pink Floyd, Beatles can you give a sense of how much a title form either of those two bands might cost?  My perception is big bucks for any title that was a significant release in the day.
Is it really practical to bring those up, I know Michael Jackson is supposed to need money, but do we even have a shot?
I am not trying to be a kill joy.
Heck I would love to see Aztec Two Step, or Mother Earth, or Tracy Nelson, It's A Beautiful Day,  Little Feat, Quicksilver, Linda Ronstadt, Minnie Ripperton, The Dead, Santana, Janis Joplin, The Airplane, Sly well you get the idea I am 57 after all.  Their licensing fees have to be less than the Beatles don't they?
But I enjoy contemporary artists as well.
Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" if it is analog could be a killer.
Sara K did some nice  stuff as has Lori Lieberman.
Then there are broadway/movie soundtracks.
My Fair Lady
Camelot
How the West Was Won
West Side Story
Korngold Soundtracks
Chicago
Cabaret
I will stop now.
Please accept my apologies.  I got a bit out of hand.

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
Re: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »
I believe, Charles, you are referring to Bob Irwin of Sundazed records. A very nice guy. He was at many of the Stereophile Hi-Fi shows some years back. I picked his brain many times on both stuff he has released, and the stuff I suggested that he would possibly release.
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)