Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: The speed of sound  (Read 9054 times)

ceved

The speed of sound
« on: January 29, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »
Anyone have an opinion of the pros and cons of recording and playback at 30ips other than the excessive use of tape, and getting out of your listening chair more often?
I was told that whatever you gain on the high end, you lose in the bass.
Thanks,

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: The speed of sound
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
That's pretty much what I'd heard too. I'm sure that Paul or Romo have opinions and first hand knowledge though. 15 ips is just fine with me. I think if I were to try for more, I'd go for 1/2 inch before 30 ips.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
I thought I read the same thing too, but can't remember where...if I'm remembering what I read correctly, it looked 7 1/2 ips was the best balance between high and low-end.  Personally, I too and quite happy with 15 ips at this point and think I'm with Steve on wanting to go to 1/2-inch first and make sure that my 1/2-inch machine had a 30ips setting...only IMO
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

ceved

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:50:06 PM »
What is driving this question is that I am looking for input to help me evaluate which of my three machines I should keep if any.
I cannot justify that many, do not have the requisite space and the replacement is $$$.
Something has got to give.
This is not a stealth classified ad.

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »
Charles,

The main reason for running your tape at 30ips is an increased headroom at high frequencies. Depending on the construction of the heads you have to compromise a more or less significant part of the low end for that.

Back in the 50's and 60's that was certainly a trade-off worth considering, especially with live recordings where you never know in advance what's coming your way. However tape formula's from the 80's and later are dramatically better with respect to high frequency saturation levels, which makes it a whole lot less obvious to use 30ips and compromise your low end. Even in a live recording situation.

So, in my opinion 30ips is more or less an obsolete tape speed. (I'm sure that not everyone will agree with me on that point, though.)

Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

ceved

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:55:02 PM »
Arian,
The impression I am getting is confirmed by your observation.
I appreciate someone with your credentials taking the time to steer me in the correct direction.
Now that I am up to speed so to speak, my process of elimination has been narrowed.
Thanks,

Offline sound signal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:07:58 AM »
The way I see it, 30ips was born of the need to get decent signal-to-noise performance out of narrow track widths on multitrack tape machines.   When multitracking a piece of modern music in the studio, it doesn't matter that a 10 1/2" reel only provides 15mins playing time - in fact that's comfortably more than what's usually needed. Any compromise to the low end can be tuned out with signal processing, of which there's usually a lot done anyway, when making a studio recording of modern music.

For high-quality two-track use 15ips is a better proposition as it does not involve a trade-off at the low frequency end, and each reel provides double the playing time. 

If you want an improvement in two-track performance, in my humble opinion it's better to go to wider tape than to 30ips.  Going from 1/4" to 1/2" tape or from 1/2" to 1" offers a bigger benefit in signal-to-noise than going from 15ips to 30ips, because the tape noise drops without the increase in the bias noise which is a consequence of the higher speed.  The improvement in signal-to-noise from wider tape also does not come at the price of a deterioration at the low frequency end.  The running costs again increase, as with going to 30ips, but each reel provides the same playing time.  And the wider tape also provides more stable azimuth and is more stable in storage.  Of course you need to change heads, head blocks, guides and so on - or obtain a machine set up for wider tape in the first place.  That, of course, costs money.  But if you see cost as an issue, for two-track use, you're better off sticking with 1/4" tape at 15ips in my opinion.

With best regards,
George Karaolides
Nicosia, Cyprus

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »
Good morning Charles,

What tape machines do you have? I am sure one would have to look at the quality, cost to replace parts, size and other parameters when trying to decide which tape recorder to keep. However, it sounds like you're in a great position and one that many of us would love to be in my friend.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.