TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Demonstration Tapes  (Read 5766 times)

ceved

Demonstration Tapes
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:50:32 PM »
It may not be music, but some of the earlier demonstration tapes from Mo Fi, Cook, London and others I have never seen might be a real kick to hear in all their glory
Some of the RCA Dick Schory and his ilk series of early stereo recordings were music in the heavy cardboard slip case jackets, and they are fun as all get out.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Demonstration Tapes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »
Funny you should mention Dick Schory. One of my early 1/2 track finds (I actually bought it when I didn't have a 1/2 track machine) is RCA CPS-199 (a stereo-orthophonic tape recording recorded in 1958). What a line up! Skitch Henderson, Lena Horne, The Melachrino Orchestra, the Radio City Music Hall Organ, Sauter-Finegan and (drum roll please,..) Schory's New Percussion Ensemble. It's, "Bob and Ray Throw a Stereo Spectacular"! From the spine tingling "Bob and Ray visit Dr. Ahkbar at the Castle" to the tony " Minuet on the Rocks", it's just about the most fun you can find on acetate.
But seriously, I think that it was released originally on 1/2 track 7.5 ips tape. The box has an illustration by Jack Davis (did covers for Mad, TV Guide, Playboy etc) shows a reel to reel between 2 serious looking multi horned speakers. Nipper looks on with concern. There's plenty of echoey walks throw caves with the sound of bats frying around your head, sounds panning from left to right and all in good humor. Well worth $20 or so.  I've never seen another one, but I'm not really looking.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

ceved

Re: Demonstration Tapes
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
I believe that there are some folks out there Dick Schory, Gould, Denny and a few others whose names escape me at the moment that were quite talented but were marketed as a bit off quilter, or exotica i.e. not serious musicians/music.
Some of those albums have gotten the audiophile vinyl treatment.
All in all most are more than listenable and well recorded to boot.
Well recorded music that is fun to listen to what a swell concept even for folks who can hear grass grow.
For a real hoot get a hold of the old Mad Magazine spoof on audiophiles in the Complete Mad Magazine on CRD ROM with Alfred E. Neuman toilet tissue
roll included; if you don't have the original magazine.
It may be from the 60's, but it is as relevant to the past time as it was then