TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: You can't handle the truth  (Read 9106 times)

ceved

You can't handle the truth
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
Probably not, but I keep trying!
Do the modifications offered by Bottlehead and ATR with the replacement playback heads and outboard electronics (i.e. full monty)
improve the playback characteristics of older prerecorded tapes?
Do the machine improvements make these older tapes sound worse because they are more revealing?
No difference?
I am trying to determine if I should keep a refurbished stock machine to play non TP, other currently produced high end tapes if the wallet will allow.
Anyone have any experience/opinion?
Thanks

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:06:11 PM by ceved »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: You can't handle the truth
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:17 PM »
I haven't upgraded the heads on my RS1500 but I do have a repo amp. I listen to the "older" prerecorded tapes in my collection almost every day and the sound is way better than stock. Really, not even in the same ballpark.  I'll be sending my headblock in for new 1/2 track and 1/4 track heads in a couple of weeks.  I'll do my usual wordy, excessively long, somewhat condescending (but frequently inane) reports on what I think. It should be one hell of a good read!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:48:31 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

ceved

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »
I will be sure to block out some extra time.
Whatever happened to your headphone listen in weekend; or did you just fabricate that to make we Easterners feel like outcasts once again?

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:07:44 PM »
I believe the annual Groundhog Day Headphone Regatta is actually happening tomorrow.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
Groundhog regatta,.. indeed! I'll have you know that this one's the first annual " Mayberry on Acid" headphone meet. It's at a fellows home which is in Fairfax, Ca. which has that nickname. There's probably an impressions thread already started since some of the guys who are flying in met in Houston and got on the same flight so they were supposed to have an "in air" portable headphone rig shoot out. I'll post a link to it after the meet.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 01:12:58 AM »
Groundhog regatta,.. indeed! I'll have you know that this one's the first annual " Mayberry on Acid" headphone meet. It's at a fellows home which is in Fairfax, Ca. which has that nickname.

Hey, I used to live in Fairfax...my first studio was in San Anselmo about a hundred yards from the Fairfax line. I love it there and would probably move back if I weren't working in San Francisco. The commute is awful.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

ceved

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 07:25:49 AM »
Now wait a minute.
Anyone in the know recognizes that the REAL or REEL Fairfax is in Virginia, and that a regatta has to do with watercraft. 
To say nothing of the fact that you probably do not even have a four footed groundhog on site.  Steve may qualify as a two footed groundhog you will have to submit a photo.  Certain height restrictions will apply.
Not only are you west coasters trying to have all the fun, you are annexing  portions of the country for your nefarious pursuits and compounding that offense with inappropriate use of words from Websters.
Have you no quoth or shame?
What is the slogan for this fun fest...  "Stick it in your ear"; or perhaps "Play it by ear"?
All in all this sounds like too much fun which we in the buttoned down east view with suspicion.
By the way Phil saw his shadow which means six more weeks of confetti.
Let's have a party!

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »
I can't imagine what would be so fun about using headphones.

Oh, wait, I just had an idea...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

ceved

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
That person sure has a case of the bends!
If they take a stretch break will we have to make a report to the administrator?