Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: 810's organicity??  (Read 6903 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
810's organicity??
« on: February 02, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
Angel brought my 810 back after changing the power capacitors for me.  It played sort of funky in terms of speed and Angel told me it was from being in his cold car.  He should me how to play with the tension trimmers and said it should be fine after a few hours of play.  He said that he'd put the power sitting at 140 to keep it from running so hot, but the Studer list was unanimous about turning it back to 120, which I did, and gave a few tips on playing with the trimmers.  So I got out the manual, found the instructions for sitting tape tension, and did my measurements with the deck on its? back?Lo and behold, after a few minutes of play time in the upright position, my 810 is running perfectly! 

For what its? worth, I also heard on the Studer list that as long as you use your 810 fairly frequently, it runs perfectly.  Problem is when you put an 810 in storage for long periods.  I think that means you have let it sort of ?warm? up for a few days to let it find itself again?sounds kinda organic to me?hmmm
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
Re: 810's organicity??
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:28:41 PM »
This is not a A810 specific problem. All electronic equipment, and certainly those build in the 70's and early 80's exhibit this 'organic' problem. The reason is that most electronic components have a specified shelf life of only 500 or 1000 hours, eventhough the operating life can be many 10,000's of hours. It is therefore recommendable for all your equipment to run it for a few hours every month. (I am doing that for my Revox collection and that keeps them in perfect working order.) An additional problem with the A810 is the back-up battery for the RAM of the microprocessor board. That is a NiCd battery that if it hasn't been replaced is most certainly worn out and won't hold any charge for more than a few days if you're lucky. Depending on the microprocessor board, it may also cause a problem during start-up with a completely depleted battery.

I have replaced the battery by a 1F / 5.5V back-up capacitor. Such a cap will live for many years without leaking like the battery. A leaking battery can also cause your microprocessor board to start rotting away. Definitely not very helpful to keep your machine running trouble free.

Arian.
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Re: 810's organicity??
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »
Thanks for the tips Arian and welcome to the board!
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...