TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Otari MX 5050 B III  (Read 5935 times)

ceved

Otari MX 5050 B III
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »
Discussion of this still in production machine has been slim to none on this forum from what I can find.
Is there a reason?
Perhaps it is a price impediment, or the unwillingness to modify a brand new machine with new heads, the allure of tweaking older machines?
Is it a 'stinker'?
Please enlighten me.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari MX 5050 B III
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »
I think that the lack of posts regarding these machines has several reasons. The main one is the price of a new one compared to what I consider the crazy-low prices that the older ones go for. Also, the 5050 Blll doesn't come stock with a 4 head configuration. I hear it's an option but I would be willing to bet that it costs as much as a entire used Mk ll. They do come with microprocessor functions such as search and plenty of other bells and whistles. So, if I wasn't willing to fiddle around working on my own machine (and had the money) I'd certainly consider buying one. But, once you cross into the "DIY Zone" (making  just a few adjustments and minor repairs makes me think I'm a world class tape tech.) for the same amount of cash, your in "big boy" studio machine territory! For folks that prefer not to ruin perfectly good machines by sticking their untrained arms and legs in it, having Doc modify a Technics and building a repo amp for them is the way to go. I haven't looked into what sort of warranty Doc gives with his work, but the satisfaction that he provides to the buyers of his kits ( whose malfunction is most likely none of his fault) couldn't be better. I think we can rely on the fact that Doc has looked into most of the machines that are generally available and found a sweet spot between price and performance. For me, it was a combination of research and plain dumb luck. I bought mine about a year before he added the instructions for modifying the Seduction phono stage ( with the spec's for using it with an rs1500 soon to follow). Whew,.. thank god! So another reason that the 5050 mk lll doesn't get much mention is the dominance of the rs1500. Perhaps, down the line a bit, we'll find a better platform than the Technics. But for now, someone would have to put an awful lot of cash under my nose to get mine out of my greedy little paws.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades