Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: which machine to get  (Read 16498 times)

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
which machine to get
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
Hi,
I am looking for a reel to reel machine and need some help in which one to get. Just wondering what you guys would recommend. I know the Technics are the preferred ones but hard to find and expensive. Which one can I get for now to start listening to tapes and then modify to perfection later when money is more available. I guess it would also have to have RCA outputs unless I can change the balanced outputs to the unbalanced RCAs. Thanks for any help.

John

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: which machine to get
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »
Q: Why does an engineer always answer a question with another question?

A: And why shouldn't an engineer answer a question with another question?

So here are a few. If you answer these it will help people here make recommendations. Just what price are you looking for? Do you want a machine that will play 7-1/2 ips quartertracks as well as Tape Project albums? Do you want a machine that will record also? If so, at what speed, and quarter track or half track? Do you have a collection of tapes that you also want access to? If so, what speed etc. are they? Are you in a position to repair a deck if it needs it?
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »
Q: Why does an engineer always answer a question with another question?

A: And why shouldn't an engineer answer a question with another question?

So here are a few. If you answer these it will help people here make recommendations. Just what price are you looking for? Do you want a machine that will play 7-1/2 ips quartertracks as well as Tape Project albums? Do you want a machine that will record also? If so, at what speed, and quarter track or half track? Do you have a collection of tapes that you also want access to? If so, what speed etc. are they? Are you in a position to repair a deck if it needs it?

I should have expected that so here is a little more info.
I think the most I want to spend is about $600 dollars.
I would like it to play as many speeds as possible but 7-1/2 and 15 would do.
I am not sure if I will record but it would be nice for future use. Not sure about speed or track. What would you recommend?
Right now I don't have any tapes but want to start a collection.
I have a shop that is close that does repair reel to reel machines.

Now a little about my setup:
Project turn table running into a Seduction running into a Foreplay 2 running into ParaBees running into 166esr BLH speakers. I also have a Sony DVD player for CDs.

Thanks for the help.

John

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »
One machine I feel is terribly overlooked in the US market is the Telefunken M15a - I own one and it is absolutely fantastic!

if the forums admins could ever figure out how to post pictures, I'd love to share some...
SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

ceved

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
Danny,
I do not believe I have ever seen a Telefunken machine offered anywhere I have searched.
Are they uncommon here in the States, and sourced mainly from Europe?
As for Kazoo, I would suggest he look into the Otari 5050 B II series of machines for the features and price he indicates.
He should be able to find one in 'shopped' condition from several reputable sources.

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »
The Telefunken M15a is a very nice machine, but I don't think John's $600 budget is nearly enough to pick one up in any acceptable state.
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »
The Telefunken M15a is a very nice machine, but I don't think John's $600 budget is nearly enough to pick one up in any acceptable state.

w00ps. heh, didn't see that one...

seriously the only machine worth looking at from a TP / Quinton - AAA perspective is the RS-1500... no doubt!
SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 06:10:24 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for the input so far. I did do a search for the Telefunken and did not find anything about it but a picture. I also have been looking at the Otari 5050 B II machines. They look real nice but only have balanced outputs. All the stuff I have has RCA connections and I don't want to run converter boxes. Unless there is a way just to rewire them to RCAs but I don't know how they work. I would guess there is a signal wire, ground wire, and a earth ground wire??? If you guys would have a easy way to rewire that I probably would get one of these machines to get started. So thanks for the help and I will keep on looking.

John

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
I think that you can probably just use adapter cables that convert the balanced output to unbalanced RCA out.  The output levels will be much higher than for "standard" consumer equipment, but that's what a volume control is for.

I have a Revox PR99 connected to my home stereo via adapter cables and it works fine.  Just do a search for XLR to RCA cables and you'll find several sources for these.

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

ceved

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
Cardas makes a nice adapter connector, so you can keep your current cables.
Check around for best price.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »
Hmm I know that Doc had said that there's a switch that will toggle between pro (+4dB) and consumer (-10dB) in one of these threads? Now where was it,. maybe you guys could help me out, I think it's under these red letters,.. yeah! Those are the ones,.. pick up those red ones by pointing your cursor and clicking and we'll see what's underneath 'em. http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php/topic,197.0.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline esb1954

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 05:45:53 AM »
As far as xlr to rca adapter cables for the Otari, give Blue Jeans cable a call.  I am sure they can make you up a pair for under $30.  Just tell them which pin is hot.
Mike Sheehy

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 06:47:31 AM »
Guys thanks for all the info. I was worried about the XLR connections but if they can be converted easily like mentioned then thats not a problem. I will try to pick up an Otari 5050 whick seems the best machine for me right now. Thanks for all the help and I will let you guys know when I get one. Thanks again,

John

Offline esb1954

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »
John, 
There is a guy on ebay who sells a lot of Otari 5050 decks.  He can do the direct tape head out for you before he ships it out to you.  He did it on mine and all seems to work great.  He is from Orlando Florida and is a retired Tech.

Mike
Mike Sheehy

ceved

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »
John,
I have purchased three decks from the gentleman in Florida that I believe Mike is referring to.
If so, highly recommended.
Please contact me if I can be of assistance.