Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Greetings from a Tape Project newcomer  (Read 7612 times)

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
Greetings from a Tape Project newcomer
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »
This is my first post here so I thought I would introduce myself. I acquired a rebuilt RS1500 from Jeff Jacobs that Doc B now has and is working his modification wonders on. In addition, it will be shipped along with an assembled Seduction tape head pre. I just signed up for a charter subscription to the tape series as well. I am really looking forward to hearing these in my listening room.

The way I see it, The Tape Project may be the only listening experience to give my current vinyl playback a run for it's money. I am looking forward to reading comments from you "veteran" Tape Project members.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Hi Joe and a convenient spot for an update
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the swamp. Your machine is coming together nicely. I'm waiting for a new sleeve bushing for the fixed guides that I think will be an improvement over what we are using now in terms of durability. When that arrives I should be able to ship.

We also shipped two Repros today and I will be installing a machine and Repro next week. There are a few machines that are near completion and mostly waiting for extended response heads. I talked with Greg Orton today and he has some new cores on order, due in maybe 2-3 weeks. When those show up I will get a few more of the oldest machine orders out.

I also have some more recently arrived machines here for which I need to talk to the owners about what we will be doing to them. I will be getting in touch with folks and scheduling the work as I wrap up these older orders.

I have a couple of Seductions that have been ordered just about complete as well. We will be ordering parts for another run of Repros soon, and I am working on a slight cosmetic redo of the remote control. When that minor redesign is complete I will be ordering parts for another run of remote controls.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

ceved

Re: Greetings from a Tape Project newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »
Joe,
Anyone hailing from the East Coast is more than welcome.
We are trying to reach parity with the 'other' coasters who tease us with their weather and weekend audio activities.
As a former PAer myself, do you ever get down to that hi end salon in Delaware?
Now a resident of Annapolis Maryland.
Tell us a bit about your Philadelphia audio society activities.
Ever go to the PA Record collector events in Lancaster, or the record show in Arbutus MD.?
Haven't found anyone who confesses to selling/collecting rtr tapes yet.
Answer any or all as you feel.

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:16:21 PM »
Hi Charles-

Anything I can do to plug East Coast audio activities, I will.

The Philadelphia Area Audio Group (PAAG) is an active and growing group of audiophiles in the Phila/Eastern PA/NJ/Del region devoted to 2 channel reproduction of music. A lot of us in the group are vinyl oriented -myself included. We currently have about 75 members. We meet once a month, usually in a member's home. Anywhere from 25-40 folks attend these. We also maintain an active list-serve as a communication tool. I am the first in the group to take the full plunge into The Tape Project pool. Once the Philadelphia Audio Society disbanded (around the time I moved to the area), I made connections with a few like minded souls on AudiogoN and we formed PAAG. We are entering our 5th year now. The size of the group is a limiting factor for our meetings now, due to the average size of most member's listening rooms. We count several designers/manufacturers and dealers among our membership as well.

I have been a customer of Overture Audio in Wilmington in the past. My last purchase from them was a pair of Magnepan 3.6R loudspeakers. Nice folks with a nice showroom. They have gone a little too far down the home theatre road for my tastes, but you have to pay the rent...

I have never attended any of the record collector events you mentioned. Most of my pre-owned LP purchases have been from the Princeton Record Exchange.

best,
Joe

Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »
Hey Charles,

I am in Catonsville, MD and am in desperate need of audio fellowship.  I would love to know about the next Arbutus event.  Drop me a line.

Bhek
Whatever sounds good,  Do that!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.

ceved

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »
Well,
Bhek, you certainly must know where Arbutus is right?
Just down the hill a ways!
Anyhow, every 3rd Sunday of the month except July there is a free record show at the FireHall off of Sulphur Spring Road I believe.
Lots of dealers and strange folks with varying levels of personal hygiene.
It is one of the few places I know where you can get breakfast rustled up by the firehall volunteers and wash it down with a beer.
I do not condone or recommend such behavior, but I have seen it done.
LP's, 45's, videos, new, old, and in between.  No rtr tapes yet, but I keep asking.
If capitalism is alive and well, I expect some to show up eventually.
I go almost every month.
Robert do you go too?
Robert is another Baltimore area resident if I am not mistaken.