TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Otari MX5050BII2  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Arnold_Layne

• View Profile
Otari MX5050BII2
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
Just purchased a Otari MX5050Bii2 on ebay. It has not yet arrived. I am looking for information on the proper cables to adapt from the XLR connectors on the unit to RCA connectors.

Steve Bennett

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
Re: Otari MX5050BII2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »
Congratulations, you bought a fine tape deck. Step one is to get a complete manual. It will contain simple diagrams to wire your own interconnects using the correct XLR pinouts. They are different on the Otari, so you need to follow the directions.

Gary
Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »
On a standard? XLR, pin 2 is hot (center pin on RCA). On the Otari  pin 3 is hot. Pin 1 on either is ground.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:46:12 AM »
I just bought one of these also a little while ago. The seller sent me a manual for it in PDF. If you want it just give me your email and I will send it to you. In there it shows how to wire up the XLRs to RCAs. I will be doing this, this weekend because I just received my XLR connectors. Also if you go to Otari's website they have a parts list for this thing to download. So if you need any parts for it you will have the original part numbers.

John

Offline Arnold_Layne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:56:59 PM »
I can find Pin 3 hot adapters online. Is this all I'll need or do I still need to make modifactions to the Otari's connectors.

Steve

Offline Arnold_Layne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
I need help locating pin 3 hot XLR to RCA adapters. I found a place online that claims to carry them. Paid for the order using their Pay Pal option. The website has no record of my order but Paypal does. No phone number to contact anyone so I've sent numerous emails to which I've received zero replies. So I'm dealing with PayPal to get my money back. The website is thecableking.com

If anyone knows another place where I can get the appropriate cables for an Otari MX5050 please let me know.

Steve

ceved

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »
Go to the Otari website.  If you contact them, they will refer you to an authorized parts dealer who may be able to help you.  Probably the fellas in New York state.  Their name escapes me.  They are very helpful.
It will likely cost more, but at least you will receive it.