TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: A magnetic question ?  (Read 6736 times)

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
A magnetic question ?
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »
I just need to ask this question so I don't ruin something. So I ordered a new demagnetizer for the R2R. Its a handheld unit that mentioned that tapes should be more than 4 feet away when this unit is used. So my question is, what about all the other electronics? Most of my electronics are within that four feet, ex: CD player, turn table, tuner, receiver, mono blocks. Will this cause any problems with any of these circuits? To be on the safe side I was going to bring the R2R outside, demagnetize the heads, and then bring it back in. But if I have to do this every 8 hours I think that will get old after a while. I am new to this so just wanted some more experienced opinions.
Thanks,

John

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A magnetic question ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 05:23:36 PM »
In my opinion you should be demagging about once a year. I don't know who came up with that eight hour recommendation, but in any case I don't agree with it.

So haul the deck out to some place you can see what you're doing, and you are in a comfortable position. You want to do it carefully. The only real danger is doing the job poorly and leaving the deck more magnetized rather than less. So do it real real carefully, then put the deck back in place, listen to some great music, and don't worry.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
Re: A magnetic question ?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:05:19 PM »
Thanks Paul, I will do as you suggested. The website and the actual box that the demagnetizer came in had the 8 hour suggestion. I read the instructions on the box but any tips or tricks to doing this.

Thank you,

John