TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Modding non technics machines  (Read 22917 times)

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
Modding non technics machines
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
Has anyone taken the time to modd their Otari or Revoxx decks to meet the sonic level of modded 1500s?  Is it even possible?  Using the seduction pre seems to level the playing feild from the repro end, but I would be interested in what it takes to make other decks sing until we can all find mint 1500s.
Whatever sounds good,  Do that!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Otari machines
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »
I have brought two 5050s home with me from the studio for precisely this reason. Paul, Michael and I met with Yoshida Shinichi, group manager of international sales and marketing for Otari Japan, last Wednesday. Yoshida is a very charming and enthusiastic music lover (he loves blues, so he is definitely one of the good guys in my book) who told us that Otari is very much ready and willing to support the new wave of reel to reel tape enthusiasts. As the single remaining tape recorder manufacturer in the world Otari offers not only brand new MX-5050BIII-2s, but also parts and service for the MX5050 series machines as well as the studio machines. Otari USA in LA can also completely refurbish a used MX5050 for you. We can help put folks in contact with Otari for parts and service and we can also help you to purchase a brand new MX-5050BIII-2. Hopefully I will be able to speak more knowledgeably about the MX5050s and potential mods to them after I get the chance to spend some time with the ones I have here in the lab.

http://www.otari.com/

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
Re: Modding non technics machines
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »
Thanks Doc.  I just brought home my 5050 IIB and need to do some work, but would like to at least be moving in the agreed apon direction.

Thanks,
Bhek
Whatever sounds good,  Do that!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
Great news on the Otari
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
Doc,

I have two MX-5050BII-2s. I'm currently running my 1506 off the modified Seduction and am ready to modify my Otaris. I'm following this one closely.

Gary

Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »
That's fantastic news Doc! Having real factory support and interest in your work is a milestone in my opinion. It can't be too long before the SET guys in Japan go mad over the Tape Project.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »
how much is one of those new machines? i guess they would be a very nice option if someone comes with an easy way to take the signal directly from the heads.
Xavier Cortes

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:06:47 PM »
Basic price for a new MX-5050B III is $5400. I'll have to check on the cost of the option that adds the quarter track playback head.

Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »
I looked at the new Otari as an option before going with the fully modded Bottlehead Technics. With $5400 price tag plus additional Bottlehead electronics and maybe an extra head, the Otari is more expensive. I don't know whether my 1506 will last longer than a new Otari, but Doc is a good guy to have on my side if it does need a repair. Now my machine only plays, all the record electronics are gone - so if you need that, then the Otari would be a better option. Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline kazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:29:41 AM »
I'll have to check on the cost of the option that adds the quarter track playback head.

Hi, can you explain the head option a little more. I don't think I have a grasp on that yet. Would the quarter track be a head that plays tapes that are recorded in 4 track mode? Would a half track head be a tape that is recorded in 2 track mode? What are the tape project tapes recorded at?
Thanks,

John

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »
I am very excited that we are now talking about doing some things with the Otari 5050 series of tape recorders. And yes, it is wonderful that the Otari brass is taking an interest in the Tape Project and it's efforts to get the magic of reel to reel tape back on top as it should be. Well, I guess I'm partial to this effort which would color all of my opinions on this subject. Keep moving foward on this so that the non technic guys get on board with great sound.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline esb1954

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 04:01:04 AM »
Doc, would Otari be willing to build a transport only machine with the play head wired directly out ? 
Mike Sheehy

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »
Doc, would Otari be willing to build a transport only machine with the play head wired directly out ?

We did discuss this on the surface level and Otari seems quite willing. That said I don't have enough knowledge of the machines yet to determine how easy this would be, and I have yet to speak with their engineers. After a quick look at the chassis of some older models on Saturday we felt that it should be possible. So I would offer a tentative yes, given some time to explore the details. For starters we will help folks who want to acquire a brand new standard MX5050BIII-2. As other ideas develop I'll keep everyone informed.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

ceved

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 05:36:42 PM »
As an owner of two older restored Otari machines I view this latest possibility with enthusiasm.
The main impediment against purchasing a new B III  for me was the apparent diminishing return of buying something that I was going to then modify i.e. replace new parts for say an extended frequency head for the two and four track heads.
Didn't seem to make much good economic sense.
Now if you could buy a B III without say a populated, or with a partially populated head nest and some of the tape path parts not installed that you planned to replace, stripped out electronics  sort of a TP special now that would be a real incentive to go new.
If you have not already explored that option I would encourage you to do so.
Regardless it seems only logical to try to work with the folks at Otari to stay in the game a bit longer, and provide a machine that is ready to be modded out.

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »
Well, it would seem my original idea to encourage Technics back into the game took a slight detour. If Otari is interested in making a "Tape Project Special" unit, so much the better. Perhaps, even Otari could build a unit with an Isoloop transport? Hmmm. Craig
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
Well, it would seem my original idea to encourage Technics back into the game took a slight detour.

I was emailing with the folks at Otari at the time you made your post. As we had not met face to face until last week I didn't feel it was appropriate to discuss this development at the time of your post, as much as I would have liked to. But we were definitely thinking along the same lines, just about different machines. I imagine that Otari will want to continue to use the transport design that they have been making for 20 some years now unless the market gets big enough to justify tooling for a different design. All that said, Jeff Jacobs has plans for some pretty heavily customized Technics machines as well, that might incorporate our electronics in a single package. So there may be a few choices available in the next few months.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle