Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Technics 1506  (Read 26765 times)

Offline Spirit84

• View Profile
Technics 1506
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
What would be the price range for a "mint" unit of the 1506?
Sam G.
Apogee Duetta Signatures, Odyssey Audio Monoblocks (4), Marchand XM44 Xover, Mapletree Audio Pre, Wright Sound Phono, Ariston RD11s TT with Origin Live DC Motor and Rega RB300 arm (Origin Live modded), Sumiko Bluepoint Special #2, Sony DVP9000es SACD (Vacuum State modded Level 6)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics 1506
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:02:43 PM »
Boy, that's a tough one. BTW, welcome to the forum. Just like any other item like this, it depends on how savvy the seller is. The prices on the entire Technics RS line has gone up a couple of hundred in the last year or so. A fair price would be around $700 I think. That's for a mint looking machine that is in perfect working order (as far as the seller knows that is). I would say that none of the 15xx or 1700 machines (or any other reel to reel for that matter)are going to be in perfect working order so figure on at least $200 for adjustments, cleaning and some worn or aged parts to be replaced. As you can see, you're in the $1k neighborhood. For a little more you could get a refurbished machine. Take my word for it, they're worth every penny. They sold new starting at $1500 in the late 70's till the mid 80's and were really a bargain then. I doubt if they made this machine today, it would cost under $5k. I think the new Otari's are over $5k but there are so many of them that finding a bargain is much easier. There was a glut of Technics on eBay that I kept an eye on a few months ago. I mean, there were over 30 sold in a little over a month! I copied the pictures and compared them every week (before the auctions ended) so I could warn the members here if any were fake ads but I never found a duplicate. It drove the prices down about $100-150 overall and they still seem a little lower than before. Be careful though, some of these machines look good in the pictures but are not as nice as they seem. Unless the ad says that it is refurbished, it will need work.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Spirit84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
Ironbut:  Thanks for the welcome and the exhaustive response!
Because I am new to the R2R hobby you can imagine all the questions that are swirling in my audio mind!
Let me limit my queries to only the following:
1:  Where does one purchase refurbished machines? I have no idea where to start looking.
2:  I notice that you have a wonderful VPI TT - how does the sound of the Tape Project tapes compare?
Look forward to reading your response.
Sam G.
Apogee Duetta Signatures, Odyssey Audio Monoblocks (4), Marchand XM44 Xover, Mapletree Audio Pre, Wright Sound Phono, Ariston RD11s TT with Origin Live DC Motor and Rega RB300 arm (Origin Live modded), Sumiko Bluepoint Special #2, Sony DVP9000es SACD (Vacuum State modded Level 6)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »
Welcome to this excellent forum sir. One of the things you might consider is placing an ad in your local newspaper. Actually, it would be best to put the ad in the newspaper with the greatest exposure. That's exactly what I did. A guy called me who had a Technic RS-1506 very cheap and hundreds less than I could have found on Ebay. The other great thing was being able to actually go where the recorder was to see it for myself. The recorder was in excellent condition, but does need the brakes adjusted. I will get that taken care of soon. Again, welcome and do get involved.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »
Hi---, there's a guy up in Wa. state that frequently sell tricked out Technics machines ( the red one that Doc has and demoed at CES is one of them). Here's a link to his website;
http://www.j-corder.com/ I'd shoot him an email and see what his basic prices would be and the options (like should you supply the machine?) to cut cost.
The Tape Project tapes stomps on my (rather neglected as of late) VPI like a bug. No comparison really. I still like vinyl for small combo jazz and some acoustic folk/bluegrass music, but more for the colorations that my set up has rather than the frequency response that seems to go on forever, the realistic dynamics and the absolute clarity of the first 4 TP releases. One of the reasons I think it's such a pleasure to hear these tapes is that they leave little doubt that there could be a better way to hear whatever the music is. You just know that your hearing it all.
BTW, you should post your name in your signature so we know what to call you. The how and where is in the forum rules forum.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Spirit84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »
I can see this is going to be an interesting new adventure!!
Besides the Technics 1506 what are machines can I look for that can probably be found at a decent price.  What about some of the older tube models dating to the 60/70's.  Any direction that you guys can provide would not only be appreicated but will also save me a lot of time.  Specifically, if there are certain kinds/models of machines that I should stay away from, that would be of great help.
Am I correct in the understandin that not all R2Rs are compatible with the Tape Project?
Look forward to learning from you; the experts.
Sam G.

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:41:15 AM »
to play either the TP or Quinton tapes you need a 2-track, 15ips IEC/CCIR EQ capable machine... of the consumer decks, the Technics 1500 series was the most capable because it has most the prerequisites; the 1520 also ads a switchable IEC/CCIR EQ.  I don't know of any consumer deck (except the 1520) that could right out of the box play any TP or Quinton tapes... (one benefit to the Quinton tapes is that fact that you can specify the EQ curve at time of order...)

cheers,

Danny

SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 09:37:24 AM »
I don't know of any consumer deck (except the 1520) that could right out of the box play any TP or Quinton tapes

The Otari MX5050BII (set for high speed) and MX5050BIII can. And some Revox machines can, but not necessarily those found in the US.

And of course the pro machines can - Studer and the king of all of 'em, the Ampex ATR 100.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Spirit84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
docb:
I did a little shopping today and have my eye on a great looking Revox A77 here in Toronto.
The person that is selling it says that it should be no problem playing any kind of prerecorded tape.
What do I have to check to make doubly sure that it will work with TP tapes.
Look forward to hearing from you or anyone who can help me.
Sam G.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
The seller's comment just sounds like sales talk. I don't think he's well enough informed to make such a blanket statement. Is the machine half track or quarter track? High speed (15 and 7-1/2) or low speed (7-1/2 and 3-3/4)? If it is to play most of the pre-recorded tapes from the '50's and '60's it must be quarter track.

To play Tape Project tapes correctly, it must be half track, high speed. And have the right EQ curve:

Most Revox A77's sold in North America came with the NAB curve. You want the IEC curve (which was known as the CCIR curve back when the A77 was current) for the high speed, though you can have the NAB curve on the 7-1/2 speed. You can modify the electronics to the IEC curve...it's really quite simple, just substituting a couple of resistors. Then you will have that upper mid-fi sound of which that machine is capable. You could also mate it with Doc's repro amp, now or any time later, and have much better sound.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline Spirit84

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »
The Revox A77 that I was looking at has the following:
Hi speed (15 and 7.5)
1/2 track
I can have the machine modified to IEC curve.
Now - would this allow me to play any other prerecorded tape other than the Tape Project?
If it disqualifies the older tapes form the 50's and 60's is there another machine that I should look for that would allow me to play the TP tapes as well as any other tapes?
I am sorry for the newbie questions but tape has never been something I knew about.
Sam G.

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »
Sam,

Welcome to this fantastic forum. If I were you, I'd look hard for an
Otari 5050-2B tape recorder. This is a great machine and can handle, high speed, 1/2 track and 1/4 track tapes from the early years. In other words it can handle pre-recorded tape you can find on Ebay and other places. An Otari tape recorder in good shape can't be beat and they tend to be less expensive than the Technics and Revox tape recorders.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:01:49 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 06:23:39 PM »
Hi Sam, personally, I'd go for either a Technics or an Otari 5050. The main reason is the switchable 1/2 > 1/4 track head configuration. There's also the modifications that either have or soon will be available that really take these machines several levels above stock. There may be other machines in the future that will prove to be as good in this respect or even better. But for now, as far as pro-sumer decks, it's pretty hard to make an argument against them. Doc, Paul, and Michael have worked hard and long to develop these mods and it would seem wise to take advantage of the research and sweat it takes to prove the long term worth of them.
To me, the collecting of old 1/4 track tapes is tons of fun. Maybe it fulfills the hunter/gatherer thing in me. And while none of them will ever reach the sonic splendor of the Tape Project tapes, they do have some qualities that is seldom heard form vinyl.
BTW, I used to live in upper state New York and we used to go to Sam the Man's Record Store in Toronto. Is it still there? We'd drive 2 hours there and back just to go there. It was the King of all the record stores I've ever seen.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Spirit84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »
Hi Sam, personally, I'd go for either a Technics or an Otari 5050. The main reason is the switchable 1/2 > 1/4 track head configuration. There's also the modifications that either have or soon will be available that really take these machines several levels above stock. There may be other machines in the future that will prove to be as good in this respect or even better. But for now, as far as pro-sumer decks, it's pretty hard to make an argument against them. Doc, Paul, and Michael have worked hard and long to develop these mods and it would seem wise to take advantage of the research and sweat it takes to prove the long term worth of them.
To me, the collecting of old 1/4 track tapes is tons of fun. Maybe it fulfills the hunter/gatherer thing in me. And while none of them will ever reach the sonic splendor of the Tape Project tapes, they do have some qualities that is seldom heard form vinyl.
BTW, I used to live in upper state New York and we used to go to Sam the Man's Record Store in Toronto. Is it still there? We'd drive 2 hours there and back just to go there. It was the King of all the record stores I've ever seen.
Ironbut:
It was actually called Sam the Record Man and unfortunately, as with all good things in audio, is gone to that large Record shop in the sky!
Let me make sure that I am clear on something.  The Technics 1500 line would aloow me to play TP tapes as well as older tapes because of the swith between 1/2 to 1/4 - correct?  However, perhaps I am wrong with my limited knowledge, but the 1500 series does not have IEC equalization.  If the machine is modded to IEC what happens to listening to the older 50's and 60's tapes?
Sorry for the silly question, but this is a little confusing. 
Also, Otari: There seems to be a myriad of different models of the 5050.  Which speicific model numbers would be the ticket.
Sam G.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about Sam, Sam. The Technics  is a four head deck. 2 Playback heads, 1/4 and 1/2 track and 1/2 record and erase heads. True, the stock playback electronics are NAB (like the old tapes) but you could build a Seduction or wait for the Seduction 2 and wire the heads directly to it. It's super simple to build in switchable IEC/NAB into it ( a couple of extra resistors and switches). The same goes for an Otari although wire routing has yet to be explored and posted. The 5050 came in three waves. Mk l, Mk ll, and the current Mk lll. Most of the ones you'll see for sale (or that I've seen) are the Mk ll. The Mk l&ll are 4 head machines stock. On the Mk lll, the 1/4 track head is an option. The prices on the Mk l&ll are usually pretty low because there are so many out there. If you do find a Mk lll for a reasonable price with the 4th head (this may be factory retrofitted) I think you'd be better off with one of those. It's would be newer, and the parts are definitely available. Be careful with these though, all the Otari's were favorite radio station work horses. Even in collage radio stations! I've looked at a couple (that the seller said was in great condition) that I still can't believe they worked at all.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades