TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: How about a kit?  (Read 9464 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
How about a kit?
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »
I maybe out of my mind but it occurred to me that you could put together a "kit" for the RS-1500 mods that you perform. How basic/advanced it would be? I don't know. Probably supply the parts that you replace with a set of instructions ala Bottlehead? Instead of making UPS rich I'd rather give my money to BH. In the end many here are DIYers and whilst a RtR deck has many complications that amps and speakers don't, namely mechanics, we could learn.

Am I crazy?
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: How about a kit?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »
I've been tinkering around with my 1500 for a couple of years now and have seen some of the stages of the mods that Doc's doing. As much as I hate/dread/cringe the very thought of handing my baby over to a shipper, I will eventually have to break down and send mine. Not that I won't try a hand at my own mods before I do that, but so much of the really fine tuning interacts with most of the other adjustments. I have some of the meters and tools to do these adjustments and measurements so I feel pretty good about doing regular maintenance, but at some point, I just want to know that everything is right.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »
at some point, I just want to know that everything is right.

Yeah, I know that feeling. So much that I've already contacted Jeff Jacobs and I hope to, at some time, buy one of his machines and have it directly sent to Doc.

Nevertheless I have an RS1500 down here in Mexico that I intend to start working on myself following your path as well as Doc's. I would eventually like to do the upgrades and it would be fantastic to have access to the improved brake pads, tension roller springs, tension roller ABEC bearings and a few drops of the proprietary lubricant for the pinch roller bearings.

I'm not thinking about going around BH's business. I would expect, however, that a significant part of the upgrade cost is the tech's salary. Add both way shipping (and duties in some cases) and BH could come with a kit that would maintain the dollars profit per machine at significant savings to the suscriber (hey, we need to save to pay for the 2008 subscriptions!).

I recognize that our machines won't get 100% equivalent to Doc's ones but maybe with time we will get better. Also I wouldn't expect a detailed set of instructions but a simple bullet point list of what goes where replacing what. There's already the Technics service manual and this forum could be the place to share techniques (not Technics!) and experience. And ,of course, we have you Steve to write down and post how you do it!

Xavier Cortes

Offline jgbeam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »
.... but at some point, I just want to know that everything is right.

Not being a tinkerer, or DIY'er of any stripe, I decided to just go ahead and have it done right.  I sent the headblock to John French for relapping ($75 per head) and the RS1500 to doc for the tape path upgrade, new direct outputs and a built Seduction.  John forwarded the headblock right to doc after he finished the relapping.  The machine is on its way back and I should have it in a few days.  Total cost, including all shipping, is around $1400.  But at least I know all mechanical parts have been checked out, worn parts replaced, other parts upgraded, and everything aligned properly, including heads.   I don't get the satisfaction of DIY, but at least I know that it is as good as it can get.  You can spend $1400 on audio in a lot of other ways and get hardly anything in return.

Jim
Collinsville, CT
Jim Grant, CT:  BH Technics RS1500 (en route), BH-built Tape Seduction, Rega Planar 3 + Sumiko Blackbird + Bellari VP129, Magnum Dynalab FT 11, Nakamichi CR-1A, Oppo DV-970HD, Alesis Masterlink CD recorder, Jolida SJ 202A, Paradigm 11SE MkII.  Cables - yes.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »
I'm not sure I'm getting what's your point?
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »
Hi Xavier,

The mods we do involve removing a lot of guides, and this tends to make the initial alignment of the tape path pretty tricky to set up in such a way that the tape motion is stable. Because of this I would be hesitant to try to put down in words how you "feel" the parts into a proper relationship that keeps the tape running without wandering side to side over the heads. There are about 30 places where adjustments can be made, either with shims or by turning adjustment screws. We have separate tapes for brake adjustment, tape tension, visual alignment, head alignment via scope and final evaluation by headphones of both 2 track and 1/4 track heads.

There are however some easy things you can do to improve performance on your own. A nice thing about ball bearings is that they are standard parts. You can pull the bearings off the tensions arms and order a replacement by using the number on the side of the bearing. There are several bearing suppliers on the web who sell small quantities.

Part of the process is careful cleaning. That is where I would suggest folks start. Be very careful to catch all of the spacers and shims when you remove pinch rollers and tension arm bearings, and note what order they go on the shaft.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline jgbeam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »
I'm not sure I'm getting what's your point?

Just my thoughts on the matter.   Kits aren't for everybody.  If I had the time and patience I'm sure I would get great pleasure in going that route.  Someday I hope to try a Bottlehead kit,  maybe even a deck tweak, but for the next couple of years I'll just watch you guys.

Jim
Jim Grant, CT:  BH Technics RS1500 (en route), BH-built Tape Seduction, Rega Planar 3 + Sumiko Blackbird + Bellari VP129, Magnum Dynalab FT 11, Nakamichi CR-1A, Oppo DV-970HD, Alesis Masterlink CD recorder, Jolida SJ 202A, Paradigm 11SE MkII.  Cables - yes.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 12:34:09 PM »
Because of this I would be hesitant to try to put down in words how you "feel" the parts into a proper relationship that keeps the tape running without wandering side to side over the heads. There are about 30 places where adjustments can be made, either with shims or by turning adjustment screws

point taken.

Part of the process is careful cleaning

you mean cleaning of the tape path or the mechanic parts? more advice here would be great

You can pull the bearings off the tensions arms and order a replacement by using the number on the side of the bearing. There are several bearing suppliers on the web who sell small quantities.

cool.

Now that I have two working machines (the Tascam is looking promising) I can start modding/tweaking them without being left without a deck if I get into trouble!

Thanks
Xavier Cortes