Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Maintenance Questions?  (Read 12909 times)

Offline mrclassicman

• View Profile
Maintenance Questions?
« on: January 15, 2007, 06:29:03 PM »
I have a TEAC 4010 GSL 7.25 R2R and would like to know what the preferred lube's would be for the various parts would be? Next would be how and when to know if the heads need to be demagnetized? Lastly what can be used to invoke the auto reverse on the tape? DIY solutions are acceptable here too! Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Terry Cummings

P.S. Thank to all in the Tape Head Project for this new forum!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Maintenance Questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
Hi Terry, I use turbine oil on bearings. There some stuff called "Zoom Spout" that you can get at some (not all, try old one and call first) Ace hardware stores. It's made by Norvey Inc. and the bar code #is 5076023654. Its was recommended over at recordist.com. For mechanical levers, linkage I use the white grease that they sell at Radio Shack. As far as the sensing tape for auto reverse, check out US recording Media.usrecordingmedia.com
Steve Koto
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mrclassicman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:49:43 PM »
 That's great ! I have an ACE just down the street so I will check it out. The other link will be good too ,as I am certain to find other things I will need as well. Thanks so much and I will let you know how things work out.

Terry Cummins

Offline James Guillebeau

• View Profile
NYoil by the William F. Nye Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »
http://easyweb.abtnet.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/ecproductlist@public?tn=          1059_oil.tem

This is a highly refined oil I have been using for years. I build clocks also and use it. It's the best oil I have ever seen. As to maintenance, you should consult the owners manual. Sometimes "O" ring belts can be had from Motion Industries if they can't be had from the deck's manufacturers. They have offices in most major US cities.

Demagnitization should be done every time you clean the heads but always turn your deck off,  remove the tape from both bubs, turn the demagnitizer on far away from your deck and approach it heads slowly and then remove the demagnitizer equally slow before turning it off. Don't get the demagnatizer close to a VU meter.
"I'm completely free of prejudice. I hate everyone equally." W.C. Fields

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 02:14:32 PM »
Next would be how and when to know if the heads need to be demagnetized?
  Terry Cummings

P.S. Thank to all in the Tape Head Project for this new forum!

There is no universal rule on demagnatizing.  The general rule of thumb preached by Ampex, according to my Dad, was every 8 hours, but he said this was conserative and the much better method is to use a magnatometer.  As you know, the reason you demagnatize is to avoid losing, damaging the hf portions of the tape.  Playing magnegtic tape over metal parts, in theory, will cause them to become magnatized over time which is something you want to avoid around your tape.  I don't own a magnatometer, I could never justify the 300 to 400 for this item just to check if I should demag my machine.  My Dad told me the a lot of studios would have a magnatometer on hand to check for any magnegtic build up since you want to have that demagnatizer around your equipment only when necessary.  He said that feedback he received was that in some cases it took hundreds of hours for tape playing/recording for any change in measurement by the magnatometer.  In the case of a playback only situation, even more hours.  So every time you clean your heads, which I do every other tape, would probably be too often.  Once a year could be just fine, there is no way to tell.

You got good advice about how to do it.  Clear all of your tapes away.  Make sure the power to your deck is off.  In fact, it is better to unplug it all together.  You can destroy the heads if the deck is on.  Plug it in a good 10' away move it in, go through the tape path, then the heads, be careful of the head surfaces, and (the big key) move the unit very slowly away from the unit.  If you pull it away quickly it will have no effect whatsoever.

Travis

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:36:08 AM »
I have a Han-D-Mag demagnetizer from R.B. Annis that I got from US recording media. I must sound like a rep for them by now, I'm always suggesting them( I swear i'm not). They used to have a kit that include the Han-D-Mag and a magnetometer/clip-on probe and some sensor strips for practicing on. It was less than $150 total. I don't see any details on the kit anywhere so you may have to buy the pieces a la carte but you can ask at us recording or RB Annis has the Deluxe Jeweled Pocket Magnetometer model 25 5-0 5 gauss range for $81. rbannis.com
BTW mrclassicman didn't you used to play for the Supersonics?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:38:07 AM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mrclassicman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 08:03:59 AM »
Thank to all for the information. I had some clock oil around for my collection and used it on the mechanism. Worked out great! I have never played professionally, but wished that I could have. I do have a goal of playing in front of an audience some time. At this point I would not want to be in the audience! Thanks again guys!

Terry