TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Another magnetic question from a novice  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Bryon

• View Profile
Another magnetic question from a novice
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:27:32 PM »
I'm considering a head first dive into the inviting waters of the high end reel to reel pool, but have a question to make sure I don't get into the deep end without being able to swim.

I'm concerned about the effect of the strong magnets in my Lowther DX3's [Azura horns-so no cabinets] on the reels when they are being played.  When I first got the lowthers, I put them with my SEX amp in relatively close proximity with my television [probably about 30 inches away.] About the same time my old tv developed this patch of purple/blue discolouration - I almost bought a new tv [yea] but then moved the Lowthers to my main system and the patch went away, and so did my dreams of a new 50" 1080i hd tv.  The Lowthers had apparently messed with the TV.

I wonder about the effects of the strong magnets in my Lowthers, which would be about 2 1/2 feet away from the rtr, on the tapes.  Am I right to be concerned - is there anything that can shield the magnetic force?

I know I'll have a bunch of questions when I finally get a player but just wanted to check this out first.

thanks

Bryon

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
Re: Another magnetic question from a novice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
Bryon,

Two and a half feet away should be OK.  I wouldn't place the tapes on top of the speaker if I could help it, not that it's SO bad, just not a good habit.

Chris Wait
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Another magnetic question from a novice
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:55:56 PM »
Welcome Bryon. There's a sticky at the top of this forum (general). In it are tons of links of varying complexity. One that everyone should read is the one that directs you to the faq's and tips page of US Recording Media. It has a section on tape care that includes exactly what your asking. Realizing that Lowthers and other single driver speakers have huge magnets, I'd double the distances just to be on the safe side.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades