TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: The Suggestion Box-A Dangerous Thing in the Wrong Hands...  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
The Suggestion Box-A Dangerous Thing in the Wrong Hands...
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
Wow, every crank on the planet is going to want to weigh in here!

So, assuming that all these emails don't get directed straight to the trash bin, here are a few of my votes for recordings I would love to hear in something approximating their original form:

Harry Belafonte: Belafonte at Carnegie Hall  RCA "Living Stereo" LSO 6006 (1959) (Yeah, I know-good 'friggin luck dealing with BMG...)

Joan Armatrading: Joan Armatrading  A&M L 35967 (1976)  I haven't listened to this for years-just for the hell of it, I threw it on the turntable the other night, and was really pleasantly surprised. Glyn Johns did a great job capturing the emotion and dynamics of Joan's voice, and despite some vinyl flaws, the dynamics were very impressive, especially for a pop album. This is good stuff, and I think it deserves some consideration as a possible candidate for tape. I have no idea how complicated the licensing rights might be, though.

Joan Baez: Farewell Angelina Vanguard VSD 79200 OK, this isn't going to everyone's cup of tea, but it's a great album nonetheless.

Muddy Waters: Folksinger Chess 1483 (1963) Chess didn't exactly have state-of-the-art facilities, but somehow this recording came out pretty well. Worth the effort to get it on tape.

Respighi: Pines of Rome (Fritz Reiner)  RCA LSC-2436 You know what I'm talkin' about.

That's all for now. I've got plenty more to add later!

Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
Re: The Suggestion Box-A Dangerous Thing in the Wrong Hands...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »
I'll second the vote for Folk Singer.  Two other classic Chicago blues albums I'd love to see are

Howlin' Wolf - The Real Folk Blues (Chess)

Junior Wells (w/ Buddy Guy) - Hoodoo Man Blues (Delmark)

Both these are simple recordings from the mid 1960s, on labels that couldn't afford a lot of processing gear
Bob Schneider

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »
Great choices you guys. The Muddy Waters and Jr. Wells in particular. It seems kind of a contradictory but the clearer the sound, the more the raw, unpolished energy that I love on these recordings really comes through. I've got all of the reissues of Folk Singer and like the other TP releases of heavily collected recordings, such as Waltz for Debby, rather than paying prices that can climb way our of my price range for an original pressing, I'd be able to hear the master recording without any additional processing that so many of the reissues have.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »
I had almost forgotten about the Junior Wells album on Dlemark. I actually recorded Junior at the old Theresa's lounge in Chicago, right before she got unceremoniously booted out of her location. It's part of a film that we did (for of all companies, the Disney Channel. Go figure...rotting somewhere in their vaults, no doubt, probably never to be seen again).

While I'm thinking about the Chicago blues scene; there are also some great albums done by Bruce Iglauer at Alligator records, a few of which I witnessed the recordings for. Straight ahead stuff, no bullshit. As an aside, Bruce actually got a start early in his career working for Bob Koester at Delmark, where he worked for something like $30 bucks a week as a shipping clerk (more than I made at my first job-I'm jealous!). I know from Bruce's stories that he also witnessed some of the Delmark sessions with both Luther Allison and Junior Wells.

While it's probably a pretty good bet that neither Howlin' Wolf or Junior Wells are going to be big sellers, there is definitely some great material to be mined here. I don't think that much of this material has ever been re-mastered. Since a lot of it was done with very little processing (they couldn't afford it), it could be a revelation.

I'll second the vote for Folk Singer.  Two other classic Chicago blues albums I'd love to see are

Howlin' Wolf - The Real Folk Blues (Chess)

Junior Wells (w/ Buddy Guy) - Hoodoo Man Blues (Delmark)

Both these are simple recordings from the mid 1960s, on labels that couldn't afford a lot of processing gear
Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.