TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Titles from Decca/London and a couple of pop titles  (Read 6590 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Titles from Decca/London and a couple of pop titles
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »
Steve, thanks for reminding us to make our suggestions.
Two of the first 10 titles are Decca/London classical. I hope TP has this as an easy source.

My favorite:
Decca SXL2020  Espana  Argenta
Almost as good:
Decca SXL2012 Grieg Peer Gynt  Fjeldstadt
Decca SXL2091 Rodrigo Concierto Aranjuez  Yepes
Decca SXL2060 Mendelssohn Midsummer Nights Dream  Maag
Decca SXL2246 Mendelssohn Sym 3  Maag
Decca SXL6529 Holst Planets  Mehta
Decca SXL6691 Stravinsky Rite of Spring  Solti

Most of these are on the Absolute Sound Super Disc List
I have all of them in original vinyl pressings on Decca. They are all available also on London pressings (generally a notch lower in sound quality, but still very fine). Master tapes should be the same. There are many more superb Decca/London titles.

There is one pop album that melts my heart
Blix Street Records S&P-501   Songbird  Eva Cassady

Finally, my favorite - he's right in the room singing to you - album -

Columbia JC35305      Stardust  Willie Nelson

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Titles from Decca/London and a couple of pop titles
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »
Great picks on the Deccas Larry. I'll jump on that bandwagon without a second thought. I haven't listened to the Songbird album in a long time. I'll get back on that one, but I do think that a female vocal album per year is a must. There's really something about a great voice and just a couple of instruments that really draws you in and transports you to another place. On all other media, the lack of total fidelity becomes a distraction and prevents full immersion in the moment. But when it's right, I'm just gone. I've been editing some live recording I made (digital) and one of the cuts is Diana Krall singing Joni Mitchell's "Case of You". It's just Diana singing and playing piano in a slightly different style than she usually does, but over and over, I'd get to the applause at the end of the song and think, "Damn, I did it again!" I was supposed to be listening for things that needed to be fixed not enjoying it.
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I do love you suggestions.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades