TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Suggestions for Your Catalog  (Read 9360 times)

Offline headlap

• View Profile
Suggestions for Your Catalog
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »
May I Please humbly suggest the following as possible titles for the Tape Project:

Pink Floyd:Dark Side of the Moon

Beach Boys:Pet Sounds

Brian Wilson:Smile

Rascals:Entire Catalog

Chicago:Chicago Transit Authority

Miles Davis:Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool

Grand Funk Railroad:Entire Catalog (Please don't flame me for this one).

I lean mostly toward pop rock myself.
Turntable:Denon DP-47F Cartridge:Shure M97xE Receiver:Technics SA-EX140 R2R:Technics RS-1500us CD Player:Technics SL-PD 887 Speakers:Bose 201 Series IV

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Your Catalog
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:30:27 AM »
That is by far one of these most incredible lists I have every seen.  That sure has my vote big time, except Smile.  I love the LP, I have it in every form, seen it preformed live, but it was done in digital.

No you put in that list a true stereo version of Pet Sounds and I think you have the Mother of All Lists in my opinion. 

I wonder what the chances would even be for DSOM. 

KOB would also be too good to be true, but I saw a post from someone in TP Mgmt say they were considering it as some point.  Maybe it is not as tough to license some of this stuff.  I beleive KOB would now be under the ownership of Sony so that is going to be out of New York.  That would blow my mind that they would even be willing to talk, but so cool.

I was blown away that Fantasy titles were coming on line, what a treasure trove there.  I would love to see some CCR out of there.

Travis

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
The Other Side of the Moon would be the jewel of the crown in terms of rock.
Xavier Cortes

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
Wow Headlap, you named off some of my all-time faves! Are we related :) Anyway, I second the listed motions!
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »
The Other Side of the Moon would be the jewel of the crown in terms of rock.

Who are the performers of that album?  As an astronomer by training, the other side of the moon is the side facing away from the earth (which we can never see from the earth because the earth and moon are in a tidal lock -same side of the moon always faces the earth.) The dark side of the moon is the side facing away from the sun. That changes over the month - resulting in  the phases of the moon. When there is an eclipse of the sun, the moon gets between the earth and the sun, and then the DARK side of the moon faces the earth. Pink Floyd's lyrics on side 2 of DSOTM refer to the solar eclipse. :-)  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline headlap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 07:44:23 PM »
Hey all!
Glad you liked my suggestions.
I've been doing some thinking and here are some more:

1)Crosby Stills and Nash:  Album name:Crosby Stills and Nash
2)Boston                    :  Album name:Boston
3)John Lennon             :  Album name:Double Fantasy
4)Billy Joel                  :Album name(s):The Stranger
                                                      52nd Street
Let's hope at least some of these can be done.
I second dwilawyer's thought's about CCR. As for a stereo version of Pet Sounds I don't think that could ever happen. I heard that some of the multi-track tapes are missing, making a true stereo mix impossible. When I purchased the Pet Sounds Sessions CD box, they tried a Stereo mix but it wasn't that great due to what I've mentioned earlier.

I'm really something of a purist, I think Pet Sounds should stay Mono IMHO.
Glad everyone enjoyed the list.

Turntable:Denon DP-47F Cartridge:Shure M97xE Receiver:Technics SA-EX140 R2R:Technics RS-1500us CD Player:Technics SL-PD 887 Speakers:Bose 201 Series IV

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
I like the CSN suggestion, I would only add to it Deja Vu too. As far as Pet Sounds, it would have to be released in it's native mono format. According to the CD's liner notes, this true stereo mix was done digitally. This means that one of the first TP tenets, "that the master exist on analog", would have to be broken. So, for Pet Sounds at least, the mono mix is it. Truth be told, the one BB album I would want more than any other is the original version of "SMiLE". Since this does not exist, per se, as an finished album done by the BB's, I'd settle for the original sessions arranged in a coherent order along the lines of the officially released album (Brian Wilson presents SMiLE). Now, THAT would be something to hear! Craig
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline headlap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »
I hear ya man. Good Point about SMILE.