TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Attn: ReVox B-77 users  (Read 7044 times)

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
Attn: ReVox B-77 users
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:41:35 PM »
Hi all. I had a nice phone conversation with John French today (of JRF Magnetics). I asked him about aftermarket Flux heads for the ReVox B-77 HS, since the Technics RS-15xx Tape Project machines use them with great success. He told me he can supply both the record and playback heads, if desired. Cost is about $650-700 a piece. When I told him I was interested in replacing both the heads on my recorder, he actually talked me out of it. The reason given is because Studer record heads are wonderful in the first place, and I would be spending hard-earned money for minimal gain to replace it. He suggested, instead, that I relap my existing record head and purchase the Flux playback head alone. This will give me the maximum bang-for-buck, and allow me to keep more of my own money in my pocket. After some consideration on my part, I have to agree with the man. He's right. BTW, relapping of your old B-77 heads is $70 each, and includes a written printout on head condition. I think if you put this information here together with Arian Johnson's B-77 IEC EQ update posted earlier, you will be sitting pretty. Hope this helps. Craig
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
Re: Attn: ReVox B-77 users
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »
for optimum results, playback and record electronics have to be setup and adjusted for any change in heads... simply dropping in a replacement head is only half the battle...

SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
Re: Attn: ReVox B-77 users
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:37:15 AM »
Normally, this is correct. However, in this case, John assures me that the heads are, in fact, a drop in replacement (I asked). Electrically, it is very close to what is in there already. No further changes are necessary. Of course, if you have nothing better to do (like listening to music), you can tweak the electronics to your heart's content :)
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)