TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Ampex 960/1260 upgrades to transport  (Read 9460 times)

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Ampex 960/1260 upgrades to transport
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
I'm looking for some help on getting the old Ampex 960 running with decent w/f specs. Anyone have ideas on how to improve this transport? Electronics and heads are great on this old classic IMO.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Ampex 960/1260 upgrades to transport
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »
Hi Rich,

I replaced the Delrin thrust bearing that the capstan shaft rides on with Teflon, and it was a very audible improvement. The stock heads are only good to 12KHz. I've also modded the electronics on past F44s I've had with our C4S kit and upgraded coupling caps, with good results.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:26:50 AM »
I have one that I am trying to get running as a surprise for my father who worked at ampex from 1960 to 1970.  The 1260 was part of a hi-fi console in our living room that also had a nice Girrard record changer on the other side.  I have got everything going good but the "clutchs" on the take up and rewind tables are worn out so it will not fast forward or rewind.  What ever material that is supposed to allow some slippage has worn out to the  point where there is not enought friction at all.

Don't know if there is a fix for that, and that is the bearing that doc was referring too, or if I need to find a workable model and get the parts. 

Travis

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »
Hey Tavis, when you talk about the 'clutches' being worn, do you mean the idler wheels? I have an Fine Line f44 Ampex and I think all the mechanical linkages etc. should be similar. If the idler wheels are worn, you can get them rebuilt by Terry Witt. Other than those, my deck is big on rubber belts and those can be sourced from Vintage Electronics.The links for Terry's Rubber (or whatever it's called) and Vintage can be found in the reel to reel links sticky at the top of the General forum. Do you have a manual? I got mine from Vintage too.
BTW, the bearing Doc was talking about is at the far end of the capstan motor.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades