Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: TP-003 - Oh my!  (Read 22381 times)

Offline scully280

• View Profile
TP-003 - Oh my!
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »
Well, I finally got my homebrew preamp to a point where it's about listenable and hooked it up to my new Flux Magnetics head in my spare RS-1500 headblock.  TP-003 (Arnold Overtures) has been on hand for a while, but I didn't want to listen until I had the IEC eq working, and that meant getting the preamp up and running.  Wow.... I finally understand what everybody's talking about.  Everything about the recording is just so right.  There's just this orchestra out there in space, well not exactly in space, it's an orchestra in a complete acoustic environment and after a few moments I found myself listening with this big grin on my face, even giggling at parts of the goofy Christmas Overture.  Beautiful, full clearly articulated lows, sweet highs and everything else in between just in the right place.  I've never heard anything else like it in my house.  To docb, romo and Paul you've hit it out the park!  Thanks.

Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: TP-003 - Oh my!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Richard!
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:50:19 AM »
Oh my! Indeed! I have been comparing the "Arnold Overtures" tape head to head against the LP, played back on my Walker turntable system all weekend, and, as good as the LP is, there is just something more resolving in the tape. The bass drum impact and placement of the instruments on the stage is astounding.

Doc, Paul and Romo have hit the ball way out of the park with this release.

My Seduction is hitting the break-in point now and each successive playback session reveals more and more of the magic in HQ reel to reel playback. Tape 4 is due to be delivered tomorrow and I wish I could just be locked in my listening room for the next couple of days. Reality, however, dictates that I go to work so I can re-up my subscription for the next 10 releases...
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
Hello,
I just received my copy of the Arnold Overtures, congratualtions to everyone involved! Beautiful presentation, a first rate job in all aspects of the case, liner notes and reels themselves. I can't wait to bring them home and start the fun! Talk about having something to be proud of, you guys have raised the bar for everyone else who offers musical enjoyment for people to have in their homes!
Thank you for all of your efforts!
Cheers, Ken

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »
Does the tape have all of the music that is on the 2 record LP release?
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »
Yes, it has all the music. On the record, one of the four sides is a copy of one of the other sides, (where the music is more dynamic and the idea, I believe, is that you would wear out one side playing it more), so there are only three sides of music. You get the longest tapes in 003.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline Kenkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »
Oh My indeed! This tape is absolutely incredible. This is what analog tape is all about. Out of the park home run. Goose bump city. Wonderful. Wow!  More like this!!

Ken
Ken Kirkpatrick
Cat Ultimate preamp, Basis Debut Vacuum, Basis Vector tonearm, Urishi,Walker motor drive, Cat JL-1 amps, Sony XA9000Es SACD, Wadia 860,Yamaha CT 7000, Nak Dragon, RX 505, 2 REL Stentor II's, Sonus Faber Amati's, Cardas Golden Cross and Siltec cables, Otari MX 5050 B III, Teac X2000R

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »
I agree.  This tape is what it's ALL about.  Compared to the redbook all digital version on Reference Recordings cd there is NO contest between this tape and the cd.  The tape is so much more open, dynamic and spacious!  The ambience of the hall that is captured on the tape is completely "lopped off" on the cd version.  The cd just sounds compressed, and there is an odd hardness and glare to the sound that is just not on the tape which is SILKY SMOOTH tonally by comparison.

If ever somebody wanted to argue what was better, analog or digital, THIS TAPE would be the 1st thing I would pull out in defense of analog (the cd version was recorded 100% in the digital domain which is what makes this such a reference tool type release!)!!

KUDOS and KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!

Joel
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »
So far I have got three tapes and none of the music I like ... So much for my taste.
None the less this is a impressive tape, while I don't think the music hit 0DB on the meter, you can feel the surround sound of the orchestra pit swell to fill the room.
Forget 5.1 sound and Star Wars effects, this is what stereo was meant to be!
Long live Prof. Johnson's recordings.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player