TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Head Relapping Instructions  (Read 7911 times)

Offline TonyB

• View Profile
Head Relapping Instructions
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:37:39 AM »
For the adventurous or those who have nothing to lose, I have found these instructions for head relapping:

http://recordist.com/ampex/docs/repairtips/heads/nortronics.pdf

The basis for this document is May 1976 AES Paper Number 1122. Does anybody have this AES paper?

Regards,

TonyB

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
Re: Head Relapping Instructions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
This method works quite good, but use the right angled L-profile to keep the head at a right angle all the time. The free-hand method always results in a sloppy surface. (Maybe I'm just not a good 'free-hand' artist)

It's not something you do in 20 minutes, though.
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Head Relapping Instructions
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »
You can download some AES papers for free but not many. Otherwise there's a charge per paper. Or, if you're a cheap skate like me and figure you might want to read everything that they've ever printed on magnetic tape and playback (I'll let you know the good ones in about 35 years) you can join as an associate. You get a cool membership card that proves
that you know what your talking about!
http://www.aes.org/
BTW if you or anyone else is seriously interested in relapping yourself, I might be able to get one of the Nortronics kits. Give me a PM and I'll see if it's still available.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades