Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: A couple of points  (Read 6880 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
A couple of points
« on: April 12, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »
My how time ( and posts) flies by! It occurred to me that some of the newer members (the jazz lovers among us) might not know that the Tape Project has access to the Fantasy catalog. That means Riverside, Contemporary, Prestige, Milestone, Pablo and of course, Fantasy who recorded Credence Clearwater. No matter how much I want to be all esoteric and choose items from their vast catalog outside of the old warhorses, I wanted to run out on the street and let anyone who would listen know that Sax Colossus and Waltz for Debby would be in the offing. So check your favorite jazz records, they could be part of both catalogs.
Another suggestion is, at least once, you should check through the suggestions already made by others. I know that most of us would like to start a thread and watch it blossom but remember, we're trying to convince Doc, Paul and Michael that there's interest in an album. So, if you see someone else's post regarding an album that you'd like to see released, add to that thread and it will bring it back to the front page. The more of us that ask, the better!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
One more point
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
Suggestions of specific albums are more helpful than just naming an artist. If the album is obscure it's helpful to include the label name and catalog number too.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: A couple of points
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:21:15 AM »
Dear Steve,

Thanks for the reminder regarding the Fantasy catalog. And, I hope I'm not being greedy here but these are a few artists I'd love to have looked at.

1. Gil Evans & Ten or  (Prestige 7120)
2. Miles Davis, Relaxing with the Miles Davis Quintet ( Prestige 7129)
3. Milt Jackson  (Prestige 7003)
4. McCoy Tyner - Sahara (Milestones OJCCD-311-2)

And finally, if you ever get custody of the Harmonia Mudi lable please check out for recording, Thomas Tallis -The Lamentations Of Jeremiah with the Alfred Deller Consort (HMA190208). The voices, intonation and articulation is as clear as bells. This is an outstanding and glorious recording. Thanks much for your consideration.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:23:21 AM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
Re: A couple of points
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »
I happened to walk though the Fantasy vault last year. What an amazing collection! I could spend a month in there just pulling tapes off the shelf at random to listen to...

Bob's W's choices are a great place to start. I would have to do some digging through the catalog to come up with some titles that might be worth the effort to put on tape. While there are all the usual suspects, I think there are some overlooked gems as well, many of them from other catalogs they've bought over the years, especially Riverside and Prestige.
Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.