TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: What is Shipping Today?  (Read 29451 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
What is Shipping Today?
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »
Dan. Paul, Romo, Got the Quantum View notification that a 6 lb package from Tape Project is shipping today.  Can't stand the suspense. What is it?  Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: What is Shipping Today?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »
that would be TP-006, the Oistrakh. TP-005 will follow shortly.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »
Thanks, Dan. Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:04:27 PM »
TP-006 before TP-005? What do you think we are,.. theoretical mathematicians!? Oh well, I guess I can have a TP-005 spacer made to put in between 004 and 006. There's just nothing easy about his hobby is there?
       Shucks!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
Got it about 2PM. I've already played about half of the Bruch Scottish Fantasy. Wonderful. Oistrakh can really play the fiddle. Another winner for TP. :-) I am comparing it to my vinyl copy, an original London (not Decca) (matrix 1E) pressing. The tape has an openness and depth and breadth of image that is lacking in the vinyl - though the latter is really very good. BTW, the London and Decca pressings of that era (1962) and earlier were not equalized to the standard RIAA curve. I have a Graham Slee Revelation and Elevator EXP phono preamp which has adjustable EQ. I set it on the old Decca EQ and the tone quality of the vinyl matches the tape almost exactly. Set on the normal RIAA curve and the record is much brighter.  Looking forward to the rest of the album.  Reminder that my vinyl setup costs almost exactly twice as much as the Bottlehead modified 1506 with Repro electronics. Larry   

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:07:11 PM »
The Hindemith is even better than the Bruch. Very nice.  Larry

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:32 PM »
The thing I really love about this release is how natural sounding it is. I get so used to the overloaded, audiophile hyped sound that sometimes when I go to performances of the SF Symphony, I start out a little underwhelmed. But as the music and performance unfolds, and I resign myself to following the conductors hands and the composers intentions, the score reveals itself like a well lit road with an unknown destination. TP-006 allows this to happen. I've waited so long and searched so hard for a recording that I could say this about with no reservation. From the resiny edge of Oistrakl's bow, to the tremendous crashes of multiple percussive instruments, it falls on my ears as it should. No distractions,.. just you and the music.
Nice job guys!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

ceved

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
Since this is leap year, at least one release should start by shipping to the higher numbered charter members first.
Since we skipped over 005 to get to 006, I nominate 005 as the logical selection for this honor.
The fact that my last name doomed me to alphabetical purgatory has nothing to do with this and that my home room teacher was my mother, and alphabetically seated, I sat at the head of the row which was dead center on her desk.
Bitter, no not me.

Offline scully280

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 12:54:33 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm still not completely happy with TP-006A, The Bruch Fantasia.  This feeling was just reinforced by attending the first orchestral concert in the newly restored theatre/concert hall in Santa Barbara. The concert featured the Los Angeles Philharmonic with both a piano soloist and a soprano soloist and we in the audience quickly got to know what we've been missing for all these years. Last night we got to hear what a great orchestra should should sound like in our own local concert hall. 

My reaction to the Bruch, on the other hand is that there might be a great orchestra on this record but I can't tell because it's missing, or at least it seems about 100 yards away from the soloist.  But not during the whole recording as the orchestra appears to be only about 20 yards away during the Introduction.  My Speaker's Corner re-issue of this record, on the other hand, has orchestra and soloist roughly in the same acoustic space through the whole piece, but the recording is more than a bit nasal.  Moreover, whatever the source or the process, the Speaker's LP sound for Oistrakh makes him sound like about a 10th generation copy, so TP-006 smokes the LP as far as the soloist goes.  But what happend to the orchestra?

Strangely, or perhaps not as these appear to be two separate dates, the Hindemith (TP-006B) is a very good 1960's recording.  All the more frustrating as I prize Oistrakh's performance in the Bruch much more than Heifitz's, the great proponent of this work.

Does anybody else have a different experience of this title?
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »
Richard,

Well, you're not alone. Scottish Fantasia was for me the tape I was most looking forward to, because it is my favorite violin concerto and I have not been able to find a good recording of it. There are many very good performances of it, but I still have to encounter the first acceptable recording.
TP006A unfortunately doesn't change that. The TP mastering and copying is undoubtedly of the highest level, but I guess the original recording has exactly those shortcomings you are mentioning plus a large amount of background noises in the recording that are a bit annoying. Like the Living Stereo Heifetz, the violin is quite well recorded, but the orchestra behind it just doesn't sound realistic.
TP006B The Hindemith sounds indeed a lot better and also doesn't have all those stage/recording noises. It still remains a typical 1960s recording, though.

Is there ayone who knows of a real good modern recording of Scottish Fantasia? (Multichannel would be even better)

Most of all, I like your comparison with the real concert hall. A reference that not many people use anymore nowadays, as you can hear in so many High End demonstrations.

Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »
I agree that Oistrakh is highlighted in the Bruch, much more than the Hindemith. Definitely not as natural - but it is in the recording. Don't think Paul, even with his magic, can change the balance of the master tape.  I haven't heard it in some time, but I liked the Kyung Wha Chung Decca recording of the Scottish Fantasy.  Larry

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »
Man- you guys are making me drool in anticipation. The rig has been modded, the seduction is hooked up; now I just need the goods. Still waiting on that magical UPS notification that my tapes are coming....
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline scully280

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
Perhaps this may be a case of being careful what you wish for, at least as far as future releases go.  Based on the Speakers Corner LP I thought that it would be really cool to get a Tape Project release that offered the Bruch in the best sound yet.  But based on the delivered tape, it seems that the master wasn't what i really expected, i.e. state-of-the-art for 1962.  It also seems that sometime in the past other engineers have been making releases based on interpretations of this master tape that attempt to hide the less-than-ideal nature of the master's sound.  It seems that the record (or CD) buying public really doesn't know what goes on between the microphones and the product that is finally published. This makes me want to be very careful in the future in asking for albums to be considered for 2008.

As for live music it's been a lot of fun over the last few years listening to concerts by some of the best orchestras in the world on tour, even in the old concert hall.  Some orchestras have noticeably different sounds.  I wouldn't say that one overall sound was much better than the other, but the fact that they are different has been an ear-opener! 
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »
I liked the balance, but then every conductor and chief of recording
view every arrangement slightly different than me. This is music to relax with.
Turn out the lights, have music softly playing, with your eyes closed and soon
... *snore*.  This is the tape that really tests the hi-fi in your sound system.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline austinstrickland

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm still not completely happy with TP-006A, The Bruch Fantasia. I work in a shipping company. This feeling was just reinforced by attending the first orchestral concert in the newly restored theatre/concert hall in Santa Barbara. The concert featured the Los Angeles Philharmonic with both a piano soloist and a soprano soloist and we in the audience quickly got to know what we've been missing for all these years. Last night we got to hear what a great orchestra should should sound like in our own local concert hall. 

My reaction to the Bruch, on the other hand is that there might be a great orchestra on this record but I can't tell because it's missing, or at least it seems about 100 yards away from the soloist.  But not during the whole recording as the orchestra appears to be only about 20 yards away during the Introduction.  My Speaker's Corner re-issue of this record, on the other hand, has orchestra and soloist roughly in the same acoustic space through the whole piece, but the recording is more than a bit nasal.  Moreover, whatever the source or the process, the Speaker's LP sound for Oistrakh makes him sound like about a 10th generation copy, so TP-006 smokes the LP as far as the soloist goes.  But what happend to the orchestra?

Strangely, or perhaps not as these appear to be two separate dates, the Hindemith (TP-006B) is a very good 1960's recording.  All the more frustrating as I prize Oistrakh's performance in the Bruch much more than Heifitz's, the great proponent of this work.

Does anybody else have a different experience of this title?

I know its an old thread but I totally agree with you. I have had a similar experience.