TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Just because I can't sleep  (Read 5775 times)

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
Just because I can't sleep
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:40:23 PM »
I should be in bed right now, but was (go figure) listening to music and decided to risk being labled mass market.  Here are a couple of obvious choices and one or two sleepers.

Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms  It has been done so many different ways...tape may be the holy grail for Mark's guitar
Steely Dan: Goucho  Read the credits list on this album.  They paid everybody to chip in.
Joe Jackson: Night and Day  Some eighties moments ARE worth reliving
Tears for Fears: Songs from the Big Chair    see above
Marvin Gaye: Whats Going On  If you don't get it, I guess not...

Not so obvious

TelepopMusik:  Breath    As I am starting to listen to smooth trans/techno on XM  I am realizing there are some 45 minute mental vacations to be had.  This particular title I happen to own.  Done by two french DJs that I believe use tape.

Jill Scott:  826   Hidden Beach Records first live album.  Done at Constitution Hall in DC.  Amazing acoustics.  She is working with an outrageous band, possibly one of the finest live recordings I have ever heard.  She takes you with her from beginning to end.  Great stories, great musicianship, great crowd noise great performance.  Sounds like the raw material is flawless.  Could only be improved by getting it out of my CD player and onto my Otari.
Whatever sounds good,  Do that!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.