Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Disscusions  (Read 24700 times)

Offline jgbeam

• View Profile
Re: Disscusions
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 06:53:07 AM »
Just in case anyone missed it, this 2002 Stereophile interview with Roy DuNann, the recording engineer on WOW, is fascinating reading. 

Jim Grant
Jim Grant, CT:  BH Technics RS1500 (en route), BH-built Tape Seduction, Rega Planar 3 + Sumiko Blackbird + Bellari VP129, Magnum Dynalab FT 11, Nakamichi CR-1A, Oppo DV-970HD, Alesis Masterlink CD recorder, Jolida SJ 202A, Paradigm 11SE MkII.  Cables - yes.

Offline jgbeam

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 06:57:43 AM »
Jim Grant, CT:  BH Technics RS1500 (en route), BH-built Tape Seduction, Rega Planar 3 + Sumiko Blackbird + Bellari VP129, Magnum Dynalab FT 11, Nakamichi CR-1A, Oppo DV-970HD, Alesis Masterlink CD recorder, Jolida SJ 202A, Paradigm 11SE MkII.  Cables - yes.

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »
Sonny Rollins is one of my favorites, I have the Way Out West AP 45 rpm Lp it is very good to say the least. I don't have anything to compare it to at this time.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 08:54:14 AM »
Cool thread guys!

Although I'm not as qualified as you to discuss format differences I do agree that the stock RS1500 sounds mudded, I love the term. But couple it to a Seduction and it sounds fantastic, even without Doc's mods which I expect to take it to another level.

I have only heard Way out West on the $9.00 OJC reissue and like it very much. I use a Garrard 301 turntable with an EMT tonearm and cartridge (tondose) coupled via a pair of rare Peerless 4797 stepups to, what else, a Seduction.

In relation to digital I use an iPod. Actually is an iPod modified by Vinnie Rossi to take the signal directly out of the DAC. If you think about it it has all the advantages of a server: a hard disk reducing the reading problems and jitter and has the benefits of battery power. I only use tubed outputs (Bottlehead Foreplay, BH Sex and recently also a hybrid headphone pre by Pete Millet that sounds really nice).

I took a close look at my heads - didn't want to be damaging that valuable tape!  It's hard to get a real good look, but they looked a bit worn, based on some of the info on JRF's site and others.

This reminds me I have to buzz Doc and discuss what to do with mine. I have been very distracted with other parts of the stereo, namely the amps that will triamp my speakers, but I guess it's time to revisit my deck.

Xavier Cortes

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »
xcortes I would be interested in getting my ipod modded, can you give some info or contact info for Vinne?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »
Cool thread guys!

I have only heard Way out West on the $9.00 OJC reissue and like it very much. I use a Garrard 301 turntable with an EMT tonearm and cartridge (tondose) coupled via a pair of rare Peerless 4797 stepups to, what else, a Seduction.

This reminds me I have to buzz Doc and discuss what to do with mine. I have been very distracted with other parts of the stereo, namely the amps that will triamp my speakers, but I guess it's time to revisit my deck.

Man, I bet that record sounds great on your 301! I wonder how much they'd have to pay Sonny to wear that hat and six guns today!
I was following your post over on the BH forum with the problems you were having.  That's pretty wacky that your area has just enough mains difference to screw gear up. I'm glad you got it all straightened out. I was on the edge of my (geeky) seat wondering what it might have been. I can see where the studios got the idea that reality TV would be a hit.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades