Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Neat new mod for RS1500s  (Read 6435 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Neat new mod for RS1500s
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
We have been experimenting with a new modification to the RS1500 tape path that is really nice. The fixed guides above the pinch rollers - which are made of stainless steel and are often worn flat - have been replaced with ABEC 5 ball bearings and ceramic edge guides.
If you look at an ATR 100 series machine you will guess the heritage of this idea. After a fair amount of time spent looking for the proper components I have come up with a combination of bearings, precision bearing shims and ceramic edge guides that perform beautifully. Along with the great sound one of the most striking things is how quiet the machine gets with two more points of friction for the moving tape having been eliminated.

The parts for the mod are not cheap, but they are also not terribly expensive. So I have decided to make this an integral part of the tape path mod. The price for the tape path mod is now $600 and includes this upgrade.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Neat new mod for RS1500s
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
Wow, looks excellent! I can see that my baby is going to have to visit you pretty soon.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »
Now that's what I'm talkin about, a man working to create something better than the original. BTW Doc those ABEC 5 bearings are outstanding, years ago that is what I used in my inline skates man are they fast great job.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

ceved

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »
Now there is an idea, miniaturized RTR integrated in to in line skates?
Roll on indeed.

Offline TonyB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:51:47 AM »
Looks like a great mod, Doc! I wonder if one could adapt them to other R2Rs?

Regards,

TonyB