TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Comparing TP-005 to Vinyl  (Read 12239 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Comparing TP-005 to Vinyl
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
I was in Paul and Mike's studio on Wed and Mike handed me TP-005. The Suite Espagnola has been one of my favorite demo records. I have an early London (grooved label, 1G lacquer) and a Speaker's Corner reissue (which to me is inferior to the early London). The dynamic range, with many quick crescendos, lots of percussion - clicking castanets and attractive tunes, make this record a lot of fun. Before TP-005, I thought that the London was a great disc. But, after comparing the first cut - TP-005 is the clear winner. Two points - the depth and subtlety of the lower levels of the orchestra is amazing - you can hear into the orchestra so much more deeply - the bouncing bows of violins within the first minute of the piece is a good example. Second, the ease of the dynamic transitions, as in the other tapes - no strain. Another winner. I've got to go back and listen again. Having heard a couple of excerpts from the "Exotic Dances" album in demos - can't wait for the next one. Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Comparing TP-005 to Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »
I just went back and listened to all the first 8 TP releases (within a few days) and as far as the classical releases goes, I think that this could be my favorite. I never had a really nice original copy of this on vinyl so I can't say how it compares. But as I have said many times, this tape leaves you with the certainty that there is little (if anything) that is on the master tape that we aren't hearing in this release. Larry is right on the money about the incredible depth and realism. It's almost like taking a stroll into the orchestra listening and watching whichever instrument you like. And the dynamics,.. holy cow! That first moment of the second tape will find any bad connection, even very slight ones, in the signal path of your system. It's sent me cleaning and tweaking (which I haven't done for a bit) cables and tubes today.
But most of all, it's the performance. When all that percussion takes the spotlight, you just couldn't be much more attached to the musical flow. The pace and interpretation is spot on IMHO. And the ebb and flow of dynamics just sweeps you away.
"In service to the music" is an often used phrase bandied about in musical reviews and this release just about defines how I feel about it. For classical music lovers I couldn't recommend any Tape Project release any more highly. Easily some of Wilkinson/Reeve's finest work and demonstrates what the Tape Project is all about.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades