TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: 2-4 Track selector switch on Technics RS-1500 RP-2224 headblock  (Read 10176 times)

Offline headlap

• View Profile
Hello All,

I am having a small problem with the 2-4 track selector switch on my RS-1500's headblock (RP-2224).
Seems there is intermittent contact and periodically lose output on one or both channels. I have to jiggle the
switch to make things right.

My hope is that the switch only needs cleaning and is not damaged. My question is, does the headblock have to removed from the
machine in order to clean the switch? How does one safely remove the headblock from the machine and how could this hurt head alignment?

Thanks
Turntable:Denon DP-47F Cartridge:Shure M97xE Receiver:Technics SA-EX140 R2R:Technics RS-1500us CD Player:Technics SL-PD 887 Speakers:Bose 201 Series IV

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 2-4 Track selector switch on Technics RS-1500 RP-2224 headblock
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »
Hi Headlap, you can probably clean the switch without removing the headblock but it's very easy to remove it. If you look at the block, there are black headed screws in groups of 3. These are the adjustment screws for the heads. There are 3 silver allen head screws. These are the ones you need to remove to remove the block. There are other silver headed screws that are for the guides but they aren't allens. You can also look at the guides and figure out which ones these are. After removing those screws, the headblock pulls straight off. Sometimes you have to rock it gently since it is held in place by a multi-pin connector that connects the block to the electronics of the strobe, and 4 heads. Once you've removed the headblock, there's a black plastic shield held in by a single screw. After removing the shield look for the back of the switch. There are little openings in the back of the switch that will allow you to spray some DeOxit. I use D5 spray (lasts forever). Just give the switch a quick squirt and work the switch over and over. Be careful not to get it on the heads or guides and while you have the headblock off, give them all a good cleaning since it's the only time you can see the left channel side of the heads (farthest away from the deck plate). If you find a lot of oxide build-up on this normally hidden side of the heads, you need use more of an angle when you normally clean them (when the headblock is still installed) to keep the oxide from building up. The installation is the reverse with not special tricks other than just tighten the screws till tight. They don't need to be torqued down! If the problem persists after doing this cleaning twice, you'll probably need to disassemble the switch and clean the contacts directly.
BTW It's a good idea to have a service manual and it has good illustrations of the headblock and all the screws.

Having a great time at VSAC. I wish all you guys were here!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline headlap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:21:37 PM »
Many Thanks for your help.
Enjoy your weekend!
Turntable:Denon DP-47F Cartridge:Shure M97xE Receiver:Technics SA-EX140 R2R:Technics RS-1500us CD Player:Technics SL-PD 887 Speakers:Bose 201 Series IV

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 03:36:56 PM »
"Having a great time at VSAC. I wish all you guys were here!" - Ironbut

Wish I could be there too, would be a great treat just to meet you.  But these days all extra cash is going to the Studers, with some positive results too.  I look forward to your posts about the event!  And thanks for all your great past posts as well!

Thanks,
cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)