TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Technics RS1500 heads compatible with Otari MX-5050 Series heads?  (Read 7862 times)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Can someone confirm if two decks share same 2 track record/repro heads and 4 track repro heads?
I looked at a Technics heads and seem quite similar to Otari heads without taking the heads out for part numbers.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Technics RS1500 heads compatible with Otari MX-5050 Series heads?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:11:14 AM »
The general consensus is they are the same, most likely manufactured by Otari, who started out as a head maker for other manufacturers. They use different shield cans and they are rather tricky to get out of the can.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Thanks doc for your prompt response.

It makes sense Technics would source the heads from an OEM.  The heads in 1500 I have seen seems to have the same shield cans but will need to verified.

OTOH, it would be a great relief to those Technics owners to have a source for the replacement heads down the road from Otari if one of the forum members can validate their compatibility.  I have few Otaris but do not own a 1500 to experiment - maybe someday...

Ki

The general consensus is they are the same, most likely manufactured by Otari, who started out as a head maker for other manufacturers. They use different shield cans and they are rather tricky to get out of the can.
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »
I've heard that the heads were sourced from Otari a couple of times but without any sources to back up the claims. I just shot off an email to Otari technical service to see if I can find out for sure. I also asked if Technics may have sourced other tape specific items (pinch rollers for instance) from them or if they could help with the OEM supplier (I have an email off to Technics too). As far as the heads go, I don't know if it's such a great idea to replace them on either machine with the ones they originally came with. Aside from Greg's extended response heads (which would be the first choice) which will certainly have better sonics and wear characteristics, JFR Magnetics can replace the heads on either machine with better ones for a more than reasonable price. John also goes through the head assembly and makes sure that every thing's up to snuff. If I recall correctly Mikey P. had John install new heads (1/2 & 1/4 track,..one was a Panasonic and one was a Tascam) in his 1500 and it was around $650 with installation and servicing.
BTW One of the times that I saw a posting (over on Tape Trail) suggesting that the two machines had the same heads, was in reference to soft, fast wearing heads. As I understand it, the softer the alloy, the more permeable the head and the more sensitive it is to small flux differences. But, the softer the alloy, the more quickly the head wears out. That would seem to be 'one' of the balancing acts involved in head design.
Personally, getting the best (Flux Magnetics) is cheap enough (in terms of this hobby at least) that I really never debated the point. Or maybe I did when I was young and stupid,.. like this time last year!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades