TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Tascam BR-20  (Read 26721 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tascam BR-20
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 11:29:15 AM »
Huh,.. I just took a quick look at a BR-20 over on the 'bay and this one has 4 heads (+ 1/4 playback). The guys wants a lot but if there's room in there for another head, than the ex-radio station decks might be pretty good. Sounds like they are either still making them or just recently stopped. I think that because they were produced in the '90's, there probably wasn't a whole lot that was being done on R2R on radio so I doubt that many saw much use at all. I'm trying to find out the different models that were produced. I saw a post or 2 on the Tascam users forum regarding a BR-20T. Here's the one on eBay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-BR-20-Stereo-Tape-deck-with-stand-manual_W0QQitemZ230263519883QQihZ013QQcategoryZ67814QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's the Tascam users forum;

http://tascamforums.com/index.php?s=0d85ab8d69b32de69e2cc44609083bc1&showforum=12
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »
Yes, I discussed support witht the Tascam guy. He said he has recently serviced three of these but that parts are becoming difficult to source. I will call him again to see what does "service" mean and about cost.

The headblock doesn't appear to be removable. If one really wanted 1/4 track playback the repro head could probably be replaced by a 1/4 one and you would still keep the other for playing 1/2 tapes.

The one on eBay doesn't have 4 heads. The head stack is identical to mine and there's only three so either the seller is lying or he is confused by it having one head that both records and reproduces:

From what I've researched they produced them until around 2002 and were sold until three years ago. This may be the reason why the ss electonics sound nicer than the 70s machines electronics. I bet a savy modder could improve the stock electronics by replacing opamps and caps and maybe doing something to the PS.
Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 05:07:09 PM »
the pic on the previous post is the eBy machine. this is mine:

Xavier Cortes

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
Yecch! Such filthy heads and tape guides!  Time for some cleaning.  In R2R cleanliness really is next godliness.  ;-)

cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 02:04:17 AM »
yeah, i know. the pic was taken by the seller, not me. otoh, as dirty as they might look in the pic they came clean very easily!
Xavier Cortes

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »
Seems to me that you have scored a really great machine.  How does the capstan shaft look where it contacts the tape and pinch roller?

cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
The capstan shaft doesn't look shiny (at least it doesn't look shinier where the tape hits it).

I spoke with the Tascam guy. He says he doesn't have the needed tensilometers or alignment tapes to do the complete service. I guess I'm going to learn with this one. He has some parts on stock that he recommended buying:

1   1   5801377301   PINCH ROLLER   759.00
2   1   5801379000   BELT CAPSTAN   165.00
3   1   5378301900   HEAD ERASE   432.29
4   2   5378301800   HEAD R/P 2T2C   1246.00
5   1   5200307500   VR. PCB ASSY   920.00

The prices are in Mexican Pesos so divide by for USD. He said these are the parts that usually wear out on these machines. The VR PCB assembly is the pcb with all the external potentiometers.

I don't really know If I should order something, the capstan belt at $16 I guess is a cheap safety net. I'm not sure about the other parts. The heads look good and so does the pinch roller but I'm in no way an expert. What would you guys recommend?
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
I'd get a couple of belts (cheap and almost nothing to ship) and forget everything else for now. What is the range of the tensions on the BR20 ? If you have the service manual (and it sounds like you do) check and see what the specs on the the playback head is. You can probably use the Tape Project alignment tape (if you even need to).
One important lesson that we should all have noted (read between the lines) from the development of the Technics machines, is that the first thing to determine is if a deck is adjusted to the stock levels. And, maybe more to the point, if it ever was or could be with the stock parts.
For now, I'd just run the heck out of it and see how it does in the next few weeks.
BTW Are there any indications of what tape the record bias is set for?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »
"The capstan shaft doesn't look shiny (at least it doesn't look shinier where the tape hits it)."

That's good news.

As to spares, well I agree with Steve's good advice, but I would be tempted to get a spare pinch roller too.  These parts along with the capstan motor are your time base and can most particularly affect wow & flutter performance.  It is my understanding that erase heads generally wear out slower than record/playback heads do.  Better P/R heads may well be available in the future.  Thus I could wait on those assuming your present heads are fine (couldn't tell from your posted photo).  The VR card is a mystry to me and requires more investigation.  My first guess was that VR is voltage regulator, but if this is a card with lots of pots on it, that suggests bias and eq control.  Given that your machine is shaping-up as being a low milage deck I'd be more concerned with saving the $ for new capacitors, though if it's fairly new vintage that might not be so dire either.  How old is it?  Older machines not only have older caps but the older vintage caps didn't hold up as well as newer current vintage capacitors do.

As to the Tentelometer issue; is the deck handling tape OK?  If it is (and my presumption that this is a low milage deck is correct) then it's not an issue that needs be immediately addressed.  As to alignment tapes - if you're a full Tape Project member you've been provided with just the alignment tape you need!

cdw
Christopher D. Wait

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 08:07:07 PM »
Thanks Steve and Chris,

I was thinking of ordering two belts and maybe the pinch roller so we're on the same line. I'll try to take some pictures of the heads later.

The range of tensions is 40 plus minus 5 grams on both sides.

I can't find the playback head specs but the manual makes reference to a Teac test tape that says reference fluxivity for 15ips IEC is 320nWb/m (whatever that means!)

I guess it's time to take out my oscilloscope and the TP alignment tape, just to see what happens!

Ah, on the tape it says Ampex #456.

The VR card is not with the one with the pots for bias and eq but for input and output levels and those seem to be working fine.

I wish I just had more time!
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 11:46:19 PM »
The fluxivity is the head output level. I think the TP supplied one is 200nWb/m. I'm pretty sure that the one on the BR 20 would be considered a high output. It will probably work a little better, gain wise, with your Seduction. The output of the test tape will be high but I'm not sure how that will effect the accuracy of the frequency test levels. I guess that the phase relationship for checking alignment shouldn't be changed.
I have a feeling that the Tascam tech just pulled up the items that have sold the most for your machine. There may have been an issue with that card or perhaps folks were buying them to set their machines up for balanced in/out. Either way, I wouldn't give that a second thought. That kinda stuff is for techs that don't want to pin point the component that's failed so they just replace the whole card.
It sounds like you got a nice one. Have fun!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades