Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Got sticky tape?  (Read 7398 times)

ceved

Got sticky tape?
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »
Always on the lookout for something of interest for the Tape Forum here in the East, I came upon an article in The Sunday Capital here in ye olde Annapolis which you may find interesting.
A gentleman named Charles Richardson has launched a new enterprise which claims to have developed a new approach to the restoration of tape suffering from sticky syndrome and similar vagaries of age such as mold and mildew.
His company is Rezerex and at www.rezerex.com you can get the skinny on what they do.
No shake and bake or chemical slathering is supposedly done, and no tape was harmed in the making of these claims either.
I have not used the services of this company, but I plan to contact Mr.Richardson and get more details.
As he lives only about 5 minutes from where I live, perhaps I will audition his new Cd's and inquire if he has the interest to dub his material to rtr.
Mr. Richardson is an avid music listener/recorder and has a sizeable library of his own recordings on rtr.  He prefers analog to digital.  Many of the works were performed by members of the US Naval Academy and the local music scene.  Yes we have a local music scene in Annapolis; as well as indoor plumbing for that matter.
If you can access the article on line I suggest you do so.  The article is aptly titled 'The Music Man' in Lifestyle Section E of todays paper.
It is not overly lengthy and has a photo of Mr. Richardson which I suspect more than a few of us can relate to.
In the interests of full disclosure, I have no financial interest in this company, did not get a discount; and Uncle Charles... ER I mean Mr. Richardson is no relation.

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: Got sticky tape?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
Charles, I just looked at this post. I have exactly one title (on two 10.5 15ips 2track tapes) that suffers from the sticky tape syndrome. It is a master dub made onto some Ampex (I am guessing 456) tape. Do you know how much this person charges for his restoration?  At this point, since I am embarking on doing some serious copying of LP's onto 15ips 2 channel and I will have the equipment to dub 15ips 2 track tapes, I was thinking of doing a bake (which I have never done) and then playing back and dubbing the title onto new non sticky tape. If his method is not too expensive, I could do it and not bother about the baking and dubbing.  Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub