TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: 1st Two Tapes Arrive  (Read 10780 times)

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
1st Two Tapes Arrive
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »
Let me start by saying thanks to all of those who made this project possible. Without the support of all involved this would have never happened, thank you so very much. Now on to the music I finally got the chance to sit down alone and play the first two tapes. WOW!!! I can only try and put words to this, I am pretty sure that the words will not be enough you must expirence the tapes for yourself.
The first thing that stands out to me is the overall quality of the whole project process, from the album covers or boxes your prefrence to the tapes themselves the art work liner notes etc.

Now we get to the tapes and the music, I only have the first two tapes, so I will just speak about them. The overall quality of the tapes is overwhelming, really and truly these tapes just ooze quality. I cannot emphasize it enough the quality is over the top, great job guys!!! Now I am not familiar with JQ and her music, but I am familiar with female voices. In my opinion female voices can make or break a system, if they sound correct to you on your system chances are it is real close to where it shold be.
There again we all here a little different, but we all know what sounds good and or right to us. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

I feel that the presentaion of the music is right on, all the instruments where well spaced and the sound of each is as it should be. The best description I can give is that the music sounds live!!! as if I were in a Jazz club downtown; or as if JQ was in the room with me. I can say it no plainer than that. As for the second tape I like acoustic guitar when complimented by the right voice. David Alvin has the right voice for that, I really enjoyed his guitar on this tape the more I listen to it the better it gets. There is not much else I can say you just have to get into the music, and feel where it puts you.

I am just dying to hear the two Jazz tapes, as those I am very familiar with plus I have them both on vinyl and SACD, if they are anything like the first two man o man what a treat!!! I guess the only thing left to do is to mod my deck, think I'll wait a little on that hoping something special will come along for the Otari MX5050 BII. 

Jay

Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

ceved

Re: 1st Two Tapes Arrive
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
Jay,
What is to wait for?
Direct out is readily available from sources on both coasts familiar with TP, and the Otari head nest is sufficiently large enough to accommodate the larger cored heads from Flux Magnetics and others.  In addition the Otari can accommodate a 1/4 track playback head.
If you want to take it a step further at least one source will also custom fit a metal shield to 'isolate' the extended response heads from ambient sound interference in the room.
Your ears aren't getting any younger!

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »
Congratultions Jay! Over the last two days, I received Tape 003 and 005, both large scale symphonic works. Wait until you hear the sound of a large concert venue reproduced on the tapes!

003 is the "Arnold Overtures" as recorded by Prof. Keith Johnson and the Suite Espanol was recorded for Decca by the legendary Kenneth Wilkerson. Both are absolutely phenomenal transfers.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »
Hi Joe,
Have you compared the "Arnold" tape to the LP yet?  Thoughts??
Regards, Joel
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:21:32 AM »
Damn Jay, That's some mighty fine praise, indeed. Thanks so much.
We had the same feeling before we started this crazy idea. Now we get to share. Thanks for letting us.
More on the way as we can get them out...
Happy listening.
Romo
Managing Director
The Tape Project