TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Antiques Roadshow meets Click and Clack  (Read 5565 times)

ceved

Antiques Roadshow meets Click and Clack
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »
It seems that lately that we have started to get questions such as the following;
What's it worth?
How do I fix it?
In both instances these specific posts seemed to come from folks who did not profess an interest in listening to music.
I have no beef against owner/listeners needing help fixing their own machines.
In addition the machines in question did not appear suited to current use, especially by TP standards.
Perhaps the best way to respond to this type of post is to ignore it.
However in the short run, if we respond in the friendly helpful TP tradition, we may have to tolerate a spate of these inquires periodically.
Is there a screening protocol that we should consider before we rush to respond?
Should we limit our remarks to machines which meet TP criteria; owner listener questions?
I don't know, but how much different were these inquiries than outright sales posts which are definitely against Forum rules?
Before you dismiss this out of hand please consider this.
Now as a relatively small forum with a limited number of active posters, this is not a huge issue.
But what if this forum grows?
How difficult will it be to reverse precedents that have just sort of happened when it didn't seem to matter?
Just a thought.
Won't you all be glad when I can listen to music again?
Me too!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:22:48 PM by ceved »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Antiques Roadshow meets Click and Clack
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »
I don't really mind answering those questions to a point. I think that most of the folks that have these sorts of inquiries realize that. I've fooled around with several machines in the past and learned from each of those experiences. The same goes from some of these old machines that need work. For folks with some basic DIY skills, if we can just get them to venture into the workings of these machines, it's simply a matter of following the levers , pulleys and belts. Just a little primer on "how" any tape machine works is usually all it takes. It's different if there's resources readily available.
Sometimes, I just want to test my patience. Kooky huh?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades