Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique  (Read 19097 times)

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique
« on: August 01, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »
Here is another title that I would like to recommend for release.

And since the Tape Project guys have an "in" with the Reference Recordings guys, maybe a T.P. issue of R.R.'s release would be something that both would consider.

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:18:53 PM »
Hey David, you're batting a thousand with me today. One of my favorite pieces. I haven't heard the RR of it but if it's anything like the ones I have heard, bring it on! Otherwise, the Solti/Chicago or the Munch/Orchestre De Paris are great.
Solti-London ffrr  CS67910
Munch-EMI/Pathe Marconi 2 C 069-10595
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »
I love the SF too. A good recording would make a killer TP tape!
Xavier Cortes

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:10:28 PM »
Now that Steve has mentioned Solti/Chicago, I'll throw in a nomination for their Beethoven Symphony No. 9 on London (CSP-8). This is the same recording MoFi released, and did an ok job with it, even though the original London is a tad better.

While we're on the subject of Decca/London, how about the Mahler 2nd with Mehta and the Vienna Philharmonic. I am listening to the Japanese pressing (KIJC-9139) tonight. It would take 4 reels at 15ips, but it is one of the better readings of this big work that I have heard.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »
Berlioz is a great idea (as is Mahler) but I might campaign for something like Romeo & Juliet over the Symphonie Fantastique.  However, if we are going to get SF, I might be looking for something really interesting like the Ansermet performance, which is extremely rare on LP. One of the contributors in  Audio Asylum made an extremely cogent case for this performance.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:38:40 PM »
the Ansermet performance, which is extremely rare on LP. One of the contributors in  Audio Asylum made an extremely cogent case for this performance.

Could you please post the link to that review.  I am not a member of Audio Asylum.

Thanks, David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »
I recently purchase two "audiophile" reissues of the SF:

RCA Living Stereo LSC-1900 Charles Much Boston SO

DECCA SXL 2009 Ataulfo Argenta Paris Conservatoire Argenta.

Of the latter I have an old LP from the London Stereo Treasury Series that I like very much. I have not listened two the reissues yet. I will compare them and provide my views later in case someone is interested.
Xavier Cortes

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:21:03 PM »
I would be very interested in your impression of the reissue of the Ataulfo/Paris recording of the SF. I have a London "blueback" (CS 6025) of that recording.

The sonics and performance are great. Getting the master of this would make for a great TP release.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »
Here is the AA link:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=vinyl&n=769820&highlight=Ansermet+Berlioz&r=&session=

Not a long discussion, but interesting. The poster is a major Ansermet fan.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »
Thank you for that link.   

I have to admit that I do not have very many of Ansermet's recordings, so I will have to see if I have that one in my store's inventory.
David Stangret

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 12:58:30 AM »
This reply is really nothing more than a bump for this suggestion.
While I've got a few members attention,.. let me remind all subscribers (or potential subscribers) that this forum is something that many of us have longed for when it comes to audiophile releases,.. a way for us to let the powers that be what we'd love to see in future releases. There's only 2 more releases left in the first series of tapes so the time for making these suggestions for the next series is getting short.
So if you want to prevent Doc from slotting " Tiny Tim and Ms. Vicki Sing a Very Inuit Easter" somewhere into the 10 releases, vote here and often!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »
I thought the 'Tiny Tim" reel was the XMASS bonus for all who subscribe before  Jan 2009. 
PS. I don't like Symphonie Fantastique.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
Wow, that one really went up there! I've bid on a few of them but never anywhere close to that. I've got the the vinyl so I can't see going crazy on that one (and a BC tape with Colin Davis which is nice).

Sometimes I see some pretty crazy stuff happen with bids on great performances like that. I saw a Munch "Rite of Spring" go really high like that with 3 or 4 bidders driving up the selling price and the the week after, the same tape appeared (from an equally good seller) and the winner got it for an eighth of the price.

Those super high prices might be a pretty good indicator of releases that might be good for TP tapes though.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique with munch
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 12:54:06 PM »
The early Munch Symphonie Fantastique is not that great sounding a recording. I have owned a few copies of the two track tape and have found all of them to be disappointing. This was one of the first BSO stereo recordings to be released and does not compare to the early Reiner/CSO recordings from the same era, notably Ein Heldenleben. This is somewhat surprising after listening to the short sample on a Living Stereo demo CD that had a Damnation of Faust excerpt with Munch from even earlier than the Symphonie. That is truly a great sounding recording of what sounds like a blazing performance of that masterpiece. Seems like the BSO still has a great Berlioz tradition. I heard Jimmy Levine conduct Damnation at Tanglewood two years ago. It remains one of my most treasured experiences at Tanglewood over the last 35 years of attending.
BTW Ironbut, I think you might be thinking of Monteux's performance of Rite of Spring on RCA two track.

Rich in Portland
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .