Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Head Marker Ink?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
Head Marker Ink?
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:30:57 PM »
Hi.  I just joined the forum, and subscribed to the Tape Project tapes.  I'm really looking forward to hearing these.

I have two Otari MX5050s, an early MX5050B-2HD I'm rebuilding, and a later MX5050B-III.  The service manual for the B-III says that, to align the heads, you mark the surface of the heads with "Head Marker Ink" or a Marker Pen, and observe the wear patterns after running 10 secs of (disposable) tape. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of marker pen is suitable for this use.  Obviously I want something that won't harm the heads.  Presumably I want something that can be cleaned off when the heads are aligned with a normal head cleaner such as alcohol.  I don't expect to be able to walk into my local art supply store and get Head Marker Ink, but if there's something I can ask for there that will work to align the heads without wrecking them, that would be great.

TIA.
Bob Schneider

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
Re: Head Marker Ink?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »
Back in the day, I used to use machinist's bluing ink, but now I mostly just use a white china marker. It will show the wear pattern quickly, and can be easily cleaned off with any standard head cleaner. However, it is no substitute for a proper head squaring gauge.
Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Head Marker Ink?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've been at it for a while. It's always great to have professional users around here to keep us amateurs in line. I wonder if I might ask you to write a little post, maybe in the General forum, with some background info and maybe a story or two (I'm sure you have some great ones, I love that stuff).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades