Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Latest shipping News  (Read 49855 times)

ceved

Re: Latest shipping News
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Heh Doc,
Ever the contrarian, take all the time you need.
I am in no hurry.
I guess that is what alphabetical order will do for you; eliminate your expectations.
Advanced age does not give you perspective so much as you forget what you were anxious for.
Younger members please take note.
This is my 200th idiotic post.  Do I get a free pizza, or a subscription to Mad Magazine?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:36:32 PM by ceved »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 08:14:57 PM »
There you are Charles. I guess I can recall the bloodhounds now.
Pizza? Magazines? Heck, it took 500 posts before they realized my true calling and put it under my avatar.

Regarding info about #8,.. I was up at the studio on Saturday and there was a huge stack of tapes. Michael told me that these were awaiting artwork (I'm not sure if that includes the boxes but I didn't see an equally huge stack of those) so I'm sure that as soon as what they need to complete the package arrives, the big brown trucks will be bringing smiles to all our faces (or twisted gobs as I like to put it).
I can't recall if the subject came up on this forum, but "Waltz,.." was the release that finding decent artwork was giving the guys fits. Fantasy didn't have any so it was " Go Fish" time for Doc and the boys. This was a long time ago and I know they had offers to scan some original record covers (I don't know how that worked out). I do know that they won't accept second best unless forced to.
You can be sure that they know that we're all dying to hear it but it ain't cake till it's done.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »
We've been running artwork for the catch-up subscriptions before we do the Waltz art - though I have already sent a few samples down to the studio for the guys to see. We've already sent art for Number White and Blackjack David, and the past two days I have done 20 Arnold covers, 20 Cray covers and right now I'm running 20 Oistrakh covers. JP is coming in today to hand trim them and pack them for shipping to the studio. Once I run a few more odds and ends we will begin the Waltz artwork run of roughly 100 pieces along with the spine labels.

I'm sure some of you have seen the original cover for Waltz for Debby. The nicest thing I can say is that it sucks. I tried several times to get a decent rendition of the vague, colorless shadow of a woman that seems to have been printed from a dirty negative, but just hated it. Then I tried to contact someone who has a website about Bill Evans and seems to know the family to ask for some help getting rights to photos, but never got an answer back. So I have used the really nice photo of Evans that is on the original back cover as the front cover photo, in keeping with the original material as much as is practical.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:25:45 AM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »
Doc,

you have set the bar very high for packaging and all the details. 'Waltz For Debbie' will be a defineing tape as it is so well known and everyone has multiple versions of the Lp and digital......it's a reference. thanks for putting all the effort into getting the art work optimal. i like your choice for the cover art.

i wish i had 'Waltz' right now to play on my 'finally here and amazing' Studer....but i will have to settle for hearing it on Hibernian's rig at RMAF.

best regards,

mikel 

Mike Lavigne

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
Hey Doc,
Thanks alot for the update, I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates your time. Thanks again my friend.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
Nicely done Doc. The original cover is a testament to the minds ability to find a familiar pattern in an almost formless glob (matrix forming). I'm glad you've decided not to spend anymore energy finding a pristine formless glob. I saw the picture on the home page (members should check over there every once in a while) and was hoping that you'd use that one.
While I'm on the subject, there have been 3 Tape Project Newsletters 2 of which contain instructions on how to use the alignment tape. All members here should be subscribed to it.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 10:25:12 PM »
ironbut where is it? I want to subscribe.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 12:00:47 AM »
Filling in tonight for Ironbut.  We have a really big Show for you staring ...
The newsletter (only 3 of them) is under the 'newsletter' item on the floating
menu on the tape project home page. I was checking to see if the 'reels' are listed
yet but they don't seem to be yet on the bottlehead site.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »
I have now received 5 tapes - #1, 2, 4, 6, 7 - kind of odd, not that it is a problem.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

ceved

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »
Speaking of 'Shipping News', a fine novel and film as well.  Nothing to do with the TP, but it would be a fine use of your time while you wait for your tapes to arrive.  It beats salivating at the front door. 
Please don't ask how I know that.
Stream of consciousness posting alert!

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32:06 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have only gotten two so far, I wonder why???????????????????

Jay

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »
I suspect sleeping outside the studio doors, waiting for the NEXT release makes all the
difference since some time in 2007.  One  advantage is you have more time to get your deck in shape if it needs minor tune ups. Right now I have a noisy pinch roller waiting to be fixed.

BTW does feel that more of the subscribers do seem to be from the West
rather than the East. Do most of the people have tube or valve equipment
rather than transistor amps I wonder?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:46:23 AM by Ben »
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
Do most of the people have tube or valve equipment
rather than transistor amps I wonder?

This side of the border is tubes:

Xavier Cortes

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 11:39:21 AM »
A question about subscriptions and serial numbers.
I note in your subscription information section of the website the following:

"And for the charter subscriber we reserve a low serial number that will match on every album delivered."

I then presume for a selective subscriber like me, matching serial numbers are not the case?
I ask because I just got my 3rd tape - The Robert Cray, out of 6 (ordered 1,2,3,4,5,7)  and it's serial number didn't match the 2 I got back in July, the Jaqui Naylor and Dave Alvin, which were both s#111.
Do the serial numbers have anything to do with when you subscribed? I subscribed in March of this year.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »
Yes, Charter Subscribers have a specific serial number assigned for the entire series. The earlier they subscribed the lower the number they got. Selective subscribers receive tapes with serial numbers outside of those reserved numbers, with no guarantee of what that number will be. That's because can't reserve a number for only six of ten tapes in a series. Your receiving two tapes with number 111 was a lucky coincidence.

We do ship pretty much in the order that subscriptions have come in, with Charter albums shipping first, followed by Selectives. I can't give you much more specific info about why some folks have two tapes while others might have five except that it probably has to do with the fact that albums are pretty much made to order for later subscribers. When a person subscribes will have an influence upon which and how many albums are being shipped to them from one of our catch up runs that occurs between releases.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project