TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: What can be done with ... TEAC A3340S  (Read 11967 times)

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
What can be done with ... TEAC A3340S
« on: August 14, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
It seems the only deck I can pick up is a TEAC A3340S.
So what can be done with for IEC eq?
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: What can be done with ... TEAC A3340S
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »
Hi seaelf, welcome to the forum. I don't know if you've checked to see what the specs and features of a 3340s but it's a 4 channel machine that was real popular in the 70's for doing overdubs recordings in analog home studios. There's a couple of reasons that it's not suitable for Tape Project tapes, one being the track format is wrong (TP tapes are 1/2 track 2 channel) and I believe that it will only go up to 7 1/2 inches per second in playback. I think that most any machine can be modified for playback with IEC eq (from NAB eq). The question is, how much is it worth to you?
At the top of this forum is a sticky that lists the basic requirements for a deck to play the Tape Project tapes and a number of machines that meet these requirements. I'll include a link to some features of many consumer machines, the 3340s being one of them.
BTW We use our real names on this forum,.. it makes it more homey (just joking).
http://obsoletemedia.com/geeklog/index.php?topic=tdinfo
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:18:32 PM »
Looks at the url given ... it does seems to do 15 ips.
Now to figure out if it can do stereo and if I can get raw
output from the heads?

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:43:34 PM »
Hi as was stated before, the head configuration is wrong. The 3340 in it's various versions was designed for 4 channel 4 track recording on 1/4" tape. That is 4 tracks one direction, 4 sets of electronics. It's smaller brother the 2340 was 7" reels and 7.5 /3.75 speeds, but you are correct that the 3340 will take 10.5" reels and run at 15 ips.  But those are only 2 of the requirements for Tape Project tapes, the IEC/CCIR equalization can be accomplished with a direct head output to other electronics or possibly modifying the Teac electronics, but you WILL have to replace the play head with a compatable 2 track 2 channel stereo one. If you try to play a 2 track tape with a 4 track head it won't be in alignment. You could change the head height so 2 of the 4 tracks are centered on the 2 tracks of the 2 channel tape, and indeed some early stereo machines had a mechanical switch to do so, but the results are not optimum for such a premium high fidelity medium as the Tape Project tapes (or any other standard 2 track 15 ips. master tape) I don't even know if you could shift it mechanically that much within the constraints of the head and mounting system design. The 3340 in short, is half a solution with extra baggage in terms of another set of record/play electronics, sync switching etc. you don't need for this application. At least find a deck with a 2 track stereo  play head that runs at 15 ips and takes 10.5" reels, then all you will have to deal with is the EQ issue.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...