TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Technics RS-1520 on e-bay...  (Read 19317 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Technics RS-1520 on e-bay...
« on: February 06, 2007, 12:53:14 PM »
Hi...I just saw a Technics 1520 on e-bay and thought I'd let the group know in case someone was looking for a Technics with the IEC eq switch...

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TECHNICS-RS-1520-OPEN-REEL-TO-REEL-TAPE-DECK-NR_W0QQitemZ160082466396QQihZ006QQcategoryZ15000QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics RS-1520 on e-bay...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:08:53 PM »
Wow, that one looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet! Maybe a radio station or studio by the looks of the scratches around the splicing block. The really sad thing ( aside from the copy stating it's in great condition) is that it's probably in worse condition than the pic's reveal!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 04:06:32 PM »
Wow!  I always have a hard time distinguishing stuff on the photos...On the other hand, the model doesn't seem to showup on e-bay very much....
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:30:36 PM »
I have seen quite a few 1520's on eBay latley - some are in good condition, others ok - be careful!

pictures tell a thousand words... in particular when it comes to r2r!
SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
The seller actually had two of them on eBay. They looked well-worn from the pictures, but as Doc has said, we just assume they're thoroughly used, and that we'll bring them up to spec in our refurb process.

Our friend Motorbruce nabbed the first one, and I got the second. As always, we'll see just what condition it's in when it arrives.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline scully280

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 10:37:41 PM »
Paul,
Just how badly messed can a deck be before you won't refurbish it.  For instance I have have a deck that I bought from a broadcast supplier for parts a few years back that's missing a reel moter and reel platform, has no pinch rollers, and it looks like sombody started replacing parts on some of the boards.  But I have had the heads re-lapped by Sprague Magnetics (now my spare headblock).  I'll bet that would not be a candidate for refurb! (??)
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
We don't have a big stockpile of spares like motors etc. yet, so I'm afraid that's gonna remain a parts queen for now ;^)>

I happen to be working on developing a program for refurbs and upgrades this week. The machines we took to CES were completely stock mechanically (only mods were extended playback heads and custom playback electronics) and had been serviced according to the manual. I'm putting together a couple of new machines for the Stereophile show and the process of getting those machines ready will get me a lot closer to establishing a set procedure. Paul and I had a long phone meeting yesterday where we both sat with a 1500 in front of us and did some blue sky about the most accurate way to align the tape path of a machine, as well as kicking around some ideas for mods. We plan to come up with a program that is more extensive than what is in the service manual, and I'm looking into assembling an appropriate test system for measuring the results of some fairly radical mods we have proposed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:23:16 PM »
Hey doc, any idea on a release schedule for the head amp ( like the one used @ CES). Last thing I heard, you were thinking of X-ing the Blackgates.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline motorbruce

• View Profile
I Bought The RS-1520 On eBay
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »

Howdy folks,

Yes, I am the purchaser of the first of the pair of RS-1520s on eBay. I am expecting the machine to arrive at my place this Friday (2-23-07). Hopefully it will be in much better condition than the RS-1700 I purchased recently. I'll let ya'll know how this RS-1520 turns out.

I purchased a RS-1700 on eBay. It arrived last week. It looked like it had been a decent machine, but it was hugely damaged in shipping. Now it is junk. The spindles are bent. Part of the back is caved in. I'm working on a settlement for that situation. If I end up with the machine it will be sold for salvage, and I do have a very appropriate buyer lined up.

I can't stress this enough, if you are buying a machine that will be shipped to you, make absolutely sure that the tape machine is packed properly for shipping. The seller of the RS-1700 I have simply put the machine in a cardboard box and filled it with packing peanuts. This was nowhere near sufficient. The box split open, packing material was pouring out of the box. It was clear that the machine had a very rough trip. The worst damage that I have seen is the spindles. They are both badly bent.

Also, if you have a machine that will be packed for shipping, you should have the machine placed in a plastic garbage bag to protect it from packing peanuts and other debris that may work its way into the machine. I don't have the back off of the RS-1700 yet, but I am sure that there will be all sorts of styrofoam bits inside.

Cheers,
Bruce
motorbruce

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »
Hey Bruce,

This is OT, but the timing seems appropriate to tell the story. If you guys are Bottleheads you know I step in to defend UPS every once in a while when folks go on about them. That's because we've had very few claims in 12 years, and the few we've had have always been settled quickly.

Today my good bud Jon Verhalen sent me a really cool, pretty big Epson 2200 printer. Jon bought a $40 plastic storage container just for the job. He packed the printer beautifully with large bubble wrap and lots of foam rubber. That was a good thing, because the container arrived with two corners missing. Our driver was pretty unhappy that he got stuck delivering it in this condition and advised us to check it out, take pictures and make a claim if necessary. As it turned out Jon packed the printer so well that it arrived unscathed in spite of the outer damage.

But the funny part is this - someone had tried to repair the container with corrugated cardboard and packing tape. It looked like a refugee's suitcase. Apparently the container hadn't been the only box smashed, because in the bottom we found about 30 brass plumbing fittings, which apparently came from some other shipment! I guess the guy just scooped up anything close to our package and threw it inside before he resealed it.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 08:22:24 PM »
Man, ugly story Bruce! I hope your claim works out OK. Unfortunately, they never pay you for the frustration and disappointment involved! I bought my rs1500 from a guy that worked for HBO doing sound for some of their specials and he sold me a roadcase that was custom made for it. It fits my machine like a glove, in fact it's difficult to lift it straight out because of the suction caused by the foam. I've learned to tilt it before trying to remove it. If any of you guys are going to be shipping your machines very often, buy one! I think you could damage the deck with a very sharp spear through it. But that's about it. It has steel corners and edges, 3 handles and the 2 latches can have locks put through them. My shipper used those lead sealed wire seals like customs uses to show the contents haven't been tampered with. I almost never use it so if any of you guys want to borrow it, your welcome to. Just PM me. Just remember, it's for a 1500 so I think the 1520 is bigger right? I don't know about the 1800 or 1700 series but I'm sure the 1506 will fit.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline motorbruce

• View Profile
My Damaged RS-1700
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 10:21:51 PM »
Well Doc, you can rest easy and save your defense of UPS. This machine was shipped to me via USPS. I cannot fault the carrier. This was just so poorly packed that it never had a chance. Insurance is not a viable solution. The machine was packed so poorly that postal insurance would never cover it.

I saw that the box was terribly damaged. Because of this I started taking pictures before I ever opened the box (I say "I opened" because the box was split open when it arrived.

Tonight I got an offer from the seller. He wants me to take it to get repaired. He said that he would foot the bill. I can't imagine that this machine is repairable with the damaged back and bent spindles. He just doesn't understand these machines or how to ship. I guess it is positive as he is at least tacitly admitting responsibility for the poor packing by offering to pay for the fix.

Wish me luck!
Bruce
motorbruce

Offline motorbruce

• View Profile
My RS-1520 Arrived Today
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »

Today my long awaited RS-1520 from eBay arrived. This was a much better experience than my purchase of the RS-1700.

The machine arrived in some of the best packing I have seen. It was in a box that is over 3' tall. In side that was another box. Inside that box was lots of bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and cardboard. The machine was bagged.

Once unpacked, I inspected the machine. It really doesn't look that rough to me. The slider for the Cue has been damaged and repaired, sort of. The repair works, but it isn't pretty. At least it doesn't stand out too much.

On the back of the machine is a sticker proudly stating: Gateway Tech. Institute, followed by a property number. Did a bit of searching, but I think that this machine, and likely its partner on eBay, came from the Kenosha, WI campus of Gateway technical college. For having been in that environment I would say that this machine looks much cleaner than I would have anticipated. Well, that's how it looks. We'll find out if it is sound mechanically.

Cheers,
Bruce
motorbruce