TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Need some help - please!  (Read 14945 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help - please!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
Great post Scott! The info regarding different head wear patterns was new to me but it makes perfect sense. I've always advised others that even after we feel pretty confident about doing our own adjustments (with the proper equipment), that it's a good idea to take it to an experienced tech every once and a while. Considering how difficult it is to obtain parts for many of these machines, a good tech could find impending problems in other areas of the machine.
I'm not sure what test tape that the OP's tech had, but the ones that the Tape Project supplies are made on the same tape stock, and the same ATR100's that the music tapes are made on.
The bottom forum here is devoted to Service resources. I would've hoped that there would have been much more posting there by now. Of course you don't see a lot of facilities boasting about their experience working on open reel. If you have any first hand experience with techs in the areas that you've lived and/or worked, I'm sure that other members would be very grateful.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »
Hi Steve,

I think the head wear pattern problems caused by different stock formulations is one that hasn't received the attention it deserves. I have to admit it took me a while to figure it out as well. It really became apparent, though, when working with magnetic film, which has a base thickness that varies between 3 and 5.5 mils thick, and a very different head wrap depending on the base thickness and base type (with the triacetate base being stiffer than polyester).

John French and I spent quite a bit of time trying to sort this out around 10 years ago, and the only solution we could come up with was to have two sets of headblocks, one for 5 mil acetate base film, and a second for 3 mil polyester. It cost a 'friggin fortune! (And then there was 5 mil polyester as well, just to complicate matters further).

As good as 35mm full coat magnetic film could be, I have to admit that I'm more than happy to not have to deal with it much any longer (except for archival work). On the other hand, I recall hearing some 6 track score masters for various pictures over the years that would just blow away most multi-track tapes. Part of this had to to with the thickness of the oxide, and part of was due to the track width, which is wider than that of a 24 track tape. I know more than a couple of scoring mixers who really lamented the move away from film. (Of course, many of the recordings that Bob Fine and Bob Eberenz did for the Mercury and Everest labels were recorded in 3 track 35mm, which, with an equivalent track width of 200 mils, could (at least theoretically) produce a recording that would only be equaled by at least 1/2" 2 track tape).

--Scott

Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 12:02:28 AM »
Interesting stuff Scott. Thanks, I always wondered about 35mm recordings (I have lots of Mercuries on record and tape). They sure can sound great. Setting azimuth and getting a good tape wrap must be a nightmare though.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades