Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Beatles White album  (Read 13274 times)

Offline Braubeat

• View Profile
Beatles White album
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
I do not know if this is even possible, but I would be in seventh heaven if the beatles white album was available on high quality tape.
What is available by the way?
Michael
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:49:29 PM by docb »

Offline Sourmilkmoon

• View Profile
Re: Beatles White album
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:52:39 PM »
I know that  the Beatle White Album is available on 7 1/2 for over the moon prices on Ebay.I too would love for a new R2R version

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »
The White Album had two US releases on R2R. The entire album is available on a 3 3/4 IPS reel... the one you'd want is the two-reel two-volume (simply labeled The Beatles Vol 1 and Vol 2) set that's at 7 1/2 IPS. They go for anywhere from $30-150 on Ebay depending on how they're listed and who's bidding. Sound is quite good. I have vol 1. IMO if you have pristine vinyl though you're already beyond. The duplications were during Ampex's period of decline and are not all they could be.
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline 15IPSMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this but have been involved in the record biz since 1969.

Actually, the Beatles White Album is available in THREE formats. Theres the 3.75 IPS version available as a single reel tape and TWO DIFFERENT 7.5 IPS versions. One is a "Double" tape and the other is the afore mentioned Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 split tape versions. The single reel version is far more difficult to find. I've seen ONE on eBay since 1998, but I have not looked diligently over all that time.

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:37:19 PM »
That is one I would REALLY like to do. The problem, of course, is the licensing. Apple is having a dickens of a time getting their catalogue on iTunes. And when they do, they will surely sell Millions and millions. And look at all the bargaining power and market presence they have. Maybe they would jump at doing something like this that is so out of the norm for labels that we'd have a shot. Very Long shot indeed.
The other hurdle would be getting the master tapes. Paul and Dan and I got to go backstage at the Beatles "Love" in Las Vegas during CES. We had a great time and very much recommend the show if anyone gets a chance to go. We got to see how they put the production together and heard some fascinating stories about what they went through to transfer the original tapes to mix for the show and the cd/dvd. They estimate the the value of the Beatles tape catalog is greater than the value of the crown jewels. It would probably be easier to get copies of Karl Rove's emails...
If anyone as any Ins, we'd be happy to explore them.
Michael

Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:58:33 AM »
I've come close to "going for it" on the Vol 1&2 7.5 ips version on Ebay a few times. The same objection to paying high prices for classical tapes goes double for r&r. Sight unseen (unheard to be exact) for a tape of and album that I plain old, wore out the original pressing I still have ( more for sentimental reasons ) just doesn't make sense to me. I think that the licensing with Apple Computer was held up by the protracted copyright lawsuit over the Apple logo. I saw an interview with Paul and Ringo @ the Cirque in Vegas a couple of months ago and ( I may have been reading between the lines a bit ) but Paul sounded like he was so pleased with the Love production ( and that enough time had passed )  that he thought it was about time to loosen the reigns on the catalog. I does seem that Abbey Road is another matter for some reason. I have an old Mobile Fidelity LP and I know that there have been at least 2 vinyl reissues since. That's another one that I wore out the original. I actually got a pre general release lp that was "supposed" to go to a local radio station so I was playing it for folks about a month before they could buy it ( hmm,.. early demo action for ironbut?). I'm sure any of their rights aren't going to be cheap though.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
"dickens of a time"?

I just want to assure everyone that Romo doesn't really talk like that.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 01:07:58 AM »
Ummm...sometimes I do
: )
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »
for those of us less versed than romo there's always the internet:

http://bits.westhost.com/idioms/id11.htm
Xavier Cortes

Offline TommyTunes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:11:33 PM »
I owned many of the Beatles 7 1/2 tapes and all were in near mint condition, showing little signs of play.  The key word here is owned, simply put, they did not sound that good.  I would not spend the money for these if I was buying them for sound quality.  Great sounding Rock reels are the exception rather than the rule.
Thomas Caselli