TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Revox A77 MK IV  (Read 13171 times)

Offline jorsan

• View Profile
Revox A77 MK IV
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:10:13 AM »
Hi,
I've been following this site with interest and need some help. Where can I find (if thats possible), nstructions to modify a Revox A77 MK IV have 10 1/2 speed? and what are your comments about the use of this tape for the tape project? thanks in advance

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
Re: Revox A77 MK IV
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »
Your question is a little confusing?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
Hi Jorsan, the Tape Project tapes require a 15 inch per second tape speed and a 1/2 track stereo head format. If you haven't already bought the A77, you might think about getting a B77 instead. I had an A77 back in the 70's and loved it, but overall, I think the B77 is a better machine and most of them will be a decade newer too. When your talking about the precise mechanical aspects of these machines, age really makes a big difference. Here's a link to a modification thread that Arian Jansen developed. Even if you do already have an A77, this should give you as good a guide to adapting Arian's mods to your machine.
BTW Welcome to the forum.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jorsan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »
Thanks to all for your responses, thats the advice that I was looking for.
As years are passing by, Im more and more nostalgic about the good all times of my youth in this hobby: LPs and R2R machines. I had 2 Akai's and 1 Teac in that time and love them!. Family obligations tooks me appart of the hobby for about 20 years and 4 years ago I've returned. Now I have what I consider a very good "audiophile"  equipment but far, far away form the analog side: all my music is stored in a dedicated computer under looseless (FLAC) format.
Because  this "nostalgic" situation, I have been searching in the web for analog options and found this site. My idea is to give a new try to the R2R analog side but not spending several thousands of dollars in the idea before I arrive to a final decision if this is what Im looking for or not so the question is, where can I find R2R decks that I can use under this "tape project" at rasonable prices and in rasonable operating status?; Ebay looks like the logical place but because the ambigous terms that the people use there to detail the status of the units, is not the right place to go so..... any other ideas? thanks in advance.

Just an update: I just bought an OTARI MB5050 III-2 that looks to be in great shape. Any advice about this unit will be greatly apreciated.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:00:38 PM by jorsan »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »
I think the first thing with any machine purchase is to get yourself a service manual. If you're handy, lots of the adjustments, lubrication and even minor repairs can be done yourself. It sounds like you got a relatively recent machine so it may not need some of the work that some of the older ones require to get it running correctly. You might do some searches here and over on the Tape Trail forum of Audio Asylum for all things Otari. Other than that, you might as well sit tight until it arrives. There are several threads regarding building adapter cables for XLR to RCA cables but until you have it, you won't know if you need an adapter or if yours will have a standard XLR connection. If you need NAB reel adapters, you might check around for these.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jorsan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
Thanks Ironbut, I'll keep you posted about the machine as soon as it arrives. By the way, any source for the service manual?.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »
There's a parallel thread going on that has the info you need.
http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php/topic,437.msg3206.html#msg3206
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jorsan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 07:43:48 AM »
Yes thanks, I found it but looks like is not easy to find the service manual for this unit.