Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Another great tape story  (Read 6086 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Another great tape story
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:31 PM »
No,.. this isn't another one of ironbut's "gather round and let me tell you a tale." stories but something that Clark Johnsen posted on the ASRC list;
http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/exhibitionist/2008/06/the_bsos_baseme.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Another great tape story
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
I attempted to post the following comment to the blog there because someone had asked if the recordings would have been in stereo or mono and in what tape format in roughly the 50s era:

Regarding the previous comment, FM stereo was not available till about 1963 and stereo tape recorders for consumer use were not common much before that.
So these were hopefully made by a 50s "HiFi" enthusiast with a good FM tuner and good mono tape recorder. Most for home use were 1/2 track mono with the tape being recorded both directions.
FM and still some AM stations took quality seriously in the 50s, and getting an excellent recording of a symphony off the air was considered a serious expression of dedication to ones hobby then.
So if everything was "right" regarding the broadcast quality and his reception and tape machine these could potentially be very Hi Fi even by today's standards. Pity they are not available.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...