Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: late 50s HiFi through Ampex speaker  (Read 7107 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
late 50s HiFi through Ampex speaker
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Yes this is only slightly tape related.
I have been having fun listening to vintage HiFi (and not so HiFi) mono records (don't have any mono pre-recorded tapes) through one of a pair of Ampex (that's the tape related part) powered tube speakers. These really sound great for what they are. An 8" JBL driver in a portable case run full range with compensating EQ driven by a built in 10W. amp using 6V6 output tubes. These were built as monitor speakers for Ampex portable tape machines. I am using one (they have a standard RCA line in) to supply amplification for a portable Rek-O-Kut turntable in a case, made for I don't know what. It has their 3 speed Rondine table and a GE arm where only the headshell pivots vertically with a GE variable reluctance magnetic cartridge with Lp and 78 styli and the matching 1 tube preamp with switchable record compensation curves all built in the case with a cover. It was all reasonably good stuff when new. I would say that it still provides pretty good sounding mono audio from vintage mono 78, 45 and Lp records. Not really the same as listening to the same records on modern equipment and in some ways better.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: late 50s HiFi through Ampex speaker
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
Hey Steve, I think too many of us forget how to have fun with this hobby but it sounds like you have it down. Ever since I saw "Desperate Man Blues" (doc. about 78 collector Joe Bussard) I've been meaning to get a rig together to play 78's. If you haven't seen it, it's a real kick in the pants!
http://www.dust-digital.com/dmb.htm
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: late 50s HiFi through Ampex speaker
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »
I am sending you to Direct Heating for the Japanese version
of mono Hi-Fi. http://www10.big.or.jp/~dh/index.html
I think you might find the turntable setup interesting.

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player