TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Waltz for Debby @ Music Lovers, Berkeley  (Read 20408 times)

Offline Hibernian

• View Profile
    • On A Higher Note
Waltz for Debby @ Music Lovers, Berkeley
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:10:23 PM »
Mike Ramonosky kindly dropped off my copy of Waltz for Debby at Music Lovers on Friday afternoon, so that we could play it while we were demonstrating Analogue Tape on a really nice system; Luxman electronics  (two M-800A, Class A amplifiers, each in bridged mode) C-800f pre and a Sonorus modified DU-80 universal player driving Wilson Alexandrias, the new X2 series II. Tape duties were handled by a Sonorus modified ReVox PR-99 mk III.

The 'Waltz For Debby' tape sounds absolutely fantastic; so mechanically quiet, people questioned me if  Dolby was used in the system. What noise is there is that of the 'Village Vanguard' club; chattering, laughing diners, tinkling glasses and cutlery, etc in the background.. Gives the recording a great "you are there" in the club type atmosphere. Nicely recorded piano, bass & drums.

'Waltz For Debby' is one of those albums that creates not only a wonderful background atmosphere, but also rewards close listening.
The close rapport and the empathy which the trio achieved are very strong, and both La Faro and Motian play with remarkable subtlety and insight.  This empathy is apparent from the beginning of the first track "My Foolish Heart" where Evans evokes the melody slowly, in almost lethargic phrases that are heavily punctuated by bass notes underpinned by Paul Motian's roiling snare. The level of freedom in their playing is quite astonishing.

The Wilson's threw a very convincing soundstage and certainly had no trouble reproducing the scale of the Paul La Faro's double bass, the height is true to scale. Analogue bass is not well replayed in a digital system. Comparing the tape to the CD is pointless as so much of the low frequency subtleties  & harmonic texture seem to have been discarded. If you can't afford the TP tape, you are probably better off with the AP LP. Highly recommended.
Philip O'Hanlon - TP Charter Subscriber.  EAR Technics 1520 - fully loaded. Sonorus ReVox PR99 mk II & mk III. Brinkman Balance w/ Van Den Hul Colibri, Luxman PD-444 - SME 3012R w/ Zu Denon 102  & Triplanar mk. VII w/ Ortofon Kontrapunkt C. EMT 931 / 929 w/ TS15. Loricraft record cleaner.

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
Re: Waltz for Debby @ Music Lovers, Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
Uh, I think you mean Scott LaFaro's double bass, right?
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »
Hey Hibernian, could you explain your reference to a "Sonorus modified ReVox PR-99 mk III" please? Is/was this done by the same people who did STUDI/O? Is this a shop, or just some guru? I'm always on the hunt for modifications to the ReVox machines. Thanks for your help.
Craig Sypnier

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »
Hibernian; 'Waltz for Debbie' is one tape i've been really been looking forward to hearing....thanks for the feedback on it. i'm stoked to get it here. i wonder how soon the mailings will begin for Charter Subscribers?

my 45rpm Lp reissue of 'waltz' is waiting to go head to head with the 15ips....

i also have an EAR modified Technics......how does the EAR Technics RS-1520 do compared to the modified Studer A-80? PM me with the answer if you like.

thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:42:20 PM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »
Hi Mike,

008's are duped and just about to be packed up. I think the artwork is being printed now. Phillip was in the area so we "loaned" him his copy before the artwork was ready. 
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline Hibernian

• View Profile
    • On A Higher Note
Re: "Sonorus modified ReVox PR-99 mk III"
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
Hey Hibernian, could you explain your reference to a "Sonorus modified ReVox PR-99 mk III" please? Is/was this done by the same people who did STUDI/O? Is this a shop, or just some guru? I'm always on the hunt for modifications to the ReVox machines. Thanks for your help.

Here is an over-view of what Arian Jensen (Sonorus) did to my PR 99 mk III

1.    Service the basic machine; lub the pots, replace light bulbs - bring back to original spec.
2.    Modify the playback board; change NAB to IEC EQ, the audio / record(optional) PCBs are completely revised - 150+ new parts are added.
3.    Modify the Power Supply so that the Audio electronics are buffered from any noise on the AC
4.    Remove the muting circuit, while the tape is fast forwarding / rewinding
5.    Rewire the monitor circuit so that the playback is now direct from the heads, leave all the existing inoputs /outputs alone, add a new pair of RCA outpts. OFC Copper in Teflon dielectric cabling used.

Arian can be reached at [email protected]

If any TP members are in Denver next week, look me up at the Marriott; we'll be in Long's Peak with both the EAR RS 1520 and the Sonorus PR 99 mk III.
Philip O'Hanlon - TP Charter Subscriber.  EAR Technics 1520 - fully loaded. Sonorus ReVox PR99 mk II & mk III. Brinkman Balance w/ Van Den Hul Colibri, Luxman PD-444 - SME 3012R w/ Zu Denon 102  & Triplanar mk. VII w/ Ortofon Kontrapunkt C. EMT 931 / 929 w/ TS15. Loricraft record cleaner.

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »
Paul,

thank you for the update on 'Waltz'........might 'the one who comes from Ireland' have 'Waltz' at RMAF for all our collective enjoyment?

best regards,

Mike
Mike Lavigne

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 10:12:44 PM »
Thanks for the info Hibernian, appreciate it. Might I ask what the cost of this work was? Craig
Craig Sypnier

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
I just picked up at bunch of SACD and DVD-A's from a friend who was going to dump them at our local used record shop. Among them was the SACD of Waltz for Debby issued by Chad Kassem - Analogue Productions. I think it sounds pretty good, but not at the same level as Chad's vinyl reissue. The most interesting part is that it has alternate takes of three of the album cuts (Waltz for Debby, Detour Ahead, My Romance). In addition there is a new cut, "I Loves You, Porgy". All together there is about 28 more minutes of music on the SACD. Can Doc or Mike or Paul tell us whether any of these cuts are on TP008? Thanks,  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »
I don't know others' view but I personally don't like when "extra cuts" are added to records. Much less the "alternate cuts". But that's just me!
Xavier Cortes

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:31 PM »
Our version follows the original release, with no additional tracks.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 01:21:17 AM »
I don't know others' view but I personally don't like when "extra cuts" are added to records. Much less the "alternate cuts". But that's just me!
I'm with you on that Xavier. I don't really mind it on CD's since I can program my machine to skip or play whichever of the alternate takes I want, but it really kills the flow of an album and I can't help but think that it's not what the musicians would want (I could be totally wrong on that though).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades