TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: The Tape Project & RMAF 2008  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Hibernian

• View Profile
    • On A Higher Note
The Tape Project & RMAF 2008
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
We will demonstrate the best of analogue in different formats using Luxman electronics and a pair of Vivid Audio B-1 loudspeakers.  Cabling & Room Tuning duties will be handled by Synergistic Research.

We will have a Tim De Pavaracini custom modified Technics RS-1520 reel to reel as well as a Sonorus custom modified reVox PR99 mk III reel to reel on hand to playour two track master tapes @ 15 ips.We will be playing selections from the recent Tape Project tapes (Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, possibly even the Mose Ailson...) as well as Quinton's catalogue, such as the Sabina Hank.

Groove Note's 'Best of Jacintha" is simply outstanding. All of her albums were all recorded by Mike Ross in Hollywood, mastered by Bernie Grundman and produced by Joe Harley. The albums were recorded simultaneously in DSD and Analogue. 

We will also have Analogue Productions' Thorens 125 'th Anniversary on tape, kindly duped by Kevin Gray at RTI; thanks Chad !  The Hugh Masakela "Coal Train to Namibia" has to be heard to be believed - unbelievably dynamic. The Rickie Lee Jones cuts are also superb.

We will also demonstrate a Luxman PD-444 (1977 vintage) magnetic bearing, direct drive turntable. This turntable has been given a new lease on high end audio life thanks to Zu Audio, who not only provided the cartridges, but also built custom copper armboards from 4" billet. Equipped with a SME 3012R tonearm (Zu Denon 102 mono cartridge) as well as a Triplanar VII tonearm   (Zu Denon 103 stereo cartridge) both tonearms fed into a Luxman E-1 phono stage.  The mono LPs played with a mono cartridge are a lot of fun and will be a delight to many music lovers as they are fuller sounding, throw a wonderful soundstage as well as benefit from better mixes in many cases than their stereo ping-pong counterparts.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."- Arthur C. Clark
If ever this maxim applied to a High End Audio component, it applies to Synergistic Research's new patent pending Acoustic ART room treatment system. Each Acoustic ART component strategically cancels target frequency components in any listening room so you hear the music, not the room. Perhaps most surprising, the Acoustic ART BassStation controls low-frequency sound by reducing low frequency nodes in a room for a significant improvement of low bass control, without large bass traps. Be among the first to hear Synergistic Research's Acoustic ART system make its world debut at RMAF.

We will be located in the same room as previous years: Long's Peak on the Mezzanine level of the Denver Marriott Tech Center. Cheers !

Philip O'Hanlon - TP Charter Subscriber.  EAR Technics 1520 - fully loaded. Sonorus ReVox PR99 mk II & mk III. Brinkman Balance w/ Van Den Hul Colibri, Luxman PD-444 - SME 3012R w/ Zu Denon 102  & Triplanar mk. VII w/ Ortofon Kontrapunkt C. EMT 931 / 929 w/ TS15. Loricraft record cleaner.

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: The Tape Project & RMAF 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »
Forget Clark... Magic is in the music not the Media.
Real advanced tech ... Tubes and Tape. :)
I hope you all can get get to that show even if I can not.

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »
Hey Phillip, sorry I didn't make it up to Music Lovers but I ended up working late (I was hoping to get off early!). I visited your room last year but won't be able to make it this year. The PD-444 sounds like it should be very interesting. Is Zu planning on producing more of the one offs or is the armboard a one time deal?
Oh well, I sure would've liked to have spend another night or two on those killer mattresses that the Tech Marriott had in my room.
Have fun
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Hibernian

• View Profile
    • On A Higher Note
Zu Modified Luxman PD-444
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
Its too early yet for them to decide, I gues they want to see the public's reaction at RMAF.

At this stage we are planning on bring the Zu Luxman PD-444 to CES 2009.

Sorry you can't amke RMAF; should be a fun show.

Philip O'Hanlon - TP Charter Subscriber.  EAR Technics 1520 - fully loaded. Sonorus ReVox PR99 mk II & mk III. Brinkman Balance w/ Van Den Hul Colibri, Luxman PD-444 - SME 3012R w/ Zu Denon 102  & Triplanar mk. VII w/ Ortofon Kontrapunkt C. EMT 931 / 929 w/ TS15. Loricraft record cleaner.

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »
The mono LPs played with a mono cartridge are a lot of fun and will be a delight to many music lovers as they are fuller sounding, throw a wonderful soundstage as well as benefit from better mixes in many cases than their stereo ping-pong counterparts.

I understand the stuff about fuller sounding and better mixes, but how can a mono source "throw a wonderful soundstage"??
Bob Schneider

Offline Hibernian

• View Profile
    • On A Higher Note
Mono Playback - Soundstage
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
You need to swing by & hear for yourself. A a stereo LP or Tape has a better Left to Right soundstage, spreading wider than the two speakers. The mono is placed between the two speakers and spread back. 

Not all recordings are equal.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
I really enjoy listening to mono recordings and find that they can have a more precise imaging. If the lp is an original in mono it lacks the additional processing that it took to produce a stereo release. Just like the advantages that the Tape Project tapes have of being fewer generations away from the master tape, the stereo version of lps often lack some of the very low level info that provide the subtle cues that our brains process to localize a musician on stage. This also requires the use of simple microphone techniques in the original recording and the players arranged in a normal ensemble. If you get a chance, listen to one of the 10" original Blue Note records. The soundstage is much more natural sounding than their stereo counterparts.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 12:23:02 PM »
Phillip and Arian, I'd love to hear your impressions on the reception that the tapes had at RMAF. I just spent the morning checking out the online coverage and even though it was a little slow to appear, there are some great pictures (which is all than we can really expect at this early date).
For those of you who haven't checked it out, here's some links to the show.
BTW It looks like there were three rooms with tape. Here's a nice mention of Phillips room. http://soundstage2.com/avtour2008/rmaf_stand_vivid.htm
http://audiofederation.com/blog/archives/500
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/toc39.htm
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/rmaf_2008/
http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/
http://soundstage2.com/avtour2008/rmaf.html
A couple of independent photo galleries;
http://picasaweb.google.com/sachi.kenobi/RMAF2008Denver?authkey=jaZzMgaJcZg#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15348938@N07/sets/72157608035667803/
If that ain't enough, you should've just gone!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:28:01 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades