TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: A Few Questions: Otari MX5050 BII2  (Read 8738 times)

Offline jkalman

• View Profile
A Few Questions: Otari MX5050 BII2
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »
I am supposed to receive one of these machines in a few days and want to figure out what I will need to do to have it work with 3 1/4, 7 1/2 and 15 in/s.

My Preprocessor allows me to invert the XLR signal in the menu, so I assume that takes care of having to sodder the XLR cables to switch pin 2 and 3 at the preprocessor end.  Is this correct?

For the more commercial tapes (3 1/4 and 7 1/2), do I need to make any changes to the unit?  If so, what changes?

For Taper's Project tapes, do I need to make changes to the unit?  If so, what changes?  What else do I need to add on to the unit to have it work with the Taper's Project reels?

Is it not possible to run all three tape speed types on the machine without going inside the unit and switching a setting (i.e. switch between 3 1/4 and 15 in/s)?  What machine would people recommend as an alternative to this machine that does all three in/s settings, yet doesn't require going inside the unit to change settings nor all of the additional tweaking in order to get the NAB and IEC equalization, etc.?

Thanks.

Jeff Kalman

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Questions: Otari MX5050 BII2
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »
Um... You have to by a switch mod off me ... The total including hiss removal on the pure silver switch is $ 999,999.95 in unmarked bills. In reality you are better off with just the two speeds 7.5 ISP and 15 IPS. It does look like you could remote the internal
switch, but it might be more pain than it is worth. A schematic and spindle locks can be bought here: http://www.analogrules.com/  The same site has the user manual as pdf
file. The only real got-ya is the heads switch is most likely is set for 2 track. It has to be
switched to 4 track for pre-recorded tapes. Cleaning supplies,power cord and a take up real are needed to get you started.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Questions: Otari MX5050 BII2
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. I think that Ben's right regarding setting up an external switch for the tape speeds. You may want to try a few 3 3/4ips tapes before you bother doing that though. For the most part, if you're into rock music you'll find that most of the commercial tape releases were made at this lower speed. The sound quality is considerably lower with this speed although I have a few that sound OK. For the most part, I don't buy these tapes since I prefer the vinyl version.
The 5050 is Tape Project compatible right out of the box. It has switchable IEC/NAB eq, 15 ips tape speed and a 1/2 track playback head. My Technics RS1500 will play all three speeds without any internal switching but I use an outboard Repro Amp (Bottlehead) which has switchable IEC/NAB.
My advice would be to spend the energy and money to assure that your Otari is working to it's potential. There are quite a number of these decks owned by members here and I believe that modifications to improve the sound will be forthcoming. Before you start playing expensive tapes or undertaking upgrades, you need to get your machine up to factory specs. This can be a little time consuming the first time around. I really enjoy fooling around with these things but you may feel differently.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades