TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Telefunken Reel to Reels  (Read 8788 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Telefunken Reel to Reels
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
One of the lists I'm subscribed to offered this link to Telefunken tape machines (along with lots of other consumer electronics). Unfortunately, the text is in German but the pictures are worth a visit.
http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/telefunken.html#ela
BTW Here's a picture of Stockhausen in his studio with a covey of machines. If you look at the machines in the background, you'll notice some interesting tape loops hanging around. Probably not a good time for the cleaning lady to make a visit there!
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2008/10/13/081013crmu_music_ross
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:22:45 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: Telefunken Reel to Reels
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
V r inventing thee recording device ...
Nut cake is the impression of him, not knowing his work.
BTW why would you have a cleaning lady come by?  That room
is spotless. It could reek of beer and bratworst and lite oil, but
the feel of German craftsmanship is in the machines.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Telefunken Reel to Reels
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
I probably shouldn't admit this, but Carl Heinz (or was it Carl Stephen ;^)> ?) influenced me greatly when I was about 14. My bud's dad had this awesome Ampex console that he got from (I think) Zack's Electronics in S.F. It had an Ampex tube tuner with separate tube MPX decoder, a tube preamp and awesome PP 7189 amps, a TD124 with a Rek-O Kut arm and maybe the original ADC One cartridge and, of course, an Ampex 960. We had recently checked a Stockhausen LP out of the local library, out of 14 yo curiosity. It was full of the sounds of kids playing in the street, under the sounds of a detuned SW rig, while Carl Heinz played a piano with nuts and bolts crimped on the strings. I was inspired!

Soon after I had a book report assignment, for which I made this goofy 2 track tape where I read the last chapter of Pierre Boulle's Garden on the Moon. We used a couple of EV dynamic mics and recorded voice on one channel and Stockhausen inspired wacky looping reverbish mic/ampex feedback on the other, switching channels at each paragraph.

"Kanashima, the First, erst, erst, erst, erst...!"

(Boulle's 1964 novel was about a successful Japanese attempt to be the first on the moon by planning a one way suicidal moon landing)

I brought the tape into my 8th grade English class and actually induced a room full of 8th graders to stick around long enough after the bell to listen to the (pre-Wendy) Walter Carlos exit music I had tacked on the end of my tape. Ahh, Aptos Jr. High. Man, I hated that school. But it made me appreciate the influence of a 14 y.o Michael Jackson, the concept of playing basketball well as a way into college, the intelligence behind the Black Power movement, and the wonderfully disruptive concept for that time, that Black is Beautiful. Hmm, maybe that's part of the reason why I love R&B so much?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project