Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: R. Strauss L.A. Phil.  (Read 8525 times)

Offline scully280

• View Profile
R. Strauss L.A. Phil.
« on: February 12, 2007, 09:10:59 AM »
1.  As it looks like there's access to early Decca stereo maybe that could be extended to the late '60's and early 70's Decca for some of the R. Strauss titles by the Los Angeles Philharmonic under Zubin Mehta.  An Alpine Symphony, Ein Heldenleben, and Also Sprach Zarathustra are still very fine performances and terrific recordings.  And of course there's the L.A. Philharmonic Planets if folks haven't heard enough of that.

2.  In many years of making duplication master tapes for broadcast automation, then making the dubs 1:1 (on Technics RS1500's) and finally running them on the air day to day I found that 10 1/2 in. metal reels are only a source of frustration.  We only used them to handle tape purchased bulk on hubs, but not for rewinding or fast forwarding.  For everything else we used 10 1/2 large hub plastic reels.  These used to made by a company called Polyline which seems to have gone by the wayside. Despite the fact that metal flanges seem to have a "cool" factor I would vote for finding a supplier of plastic reels.  The only metal reels we would rewind to regularly had 6 holes and special thick flanges, and I haven't seen anything like that in a long time.  In any case I only use plastic at home now.
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Welcome
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »
Welcome and thanks for the great suggestions. I'm realizing that the layout of this forum doesn't do a very good job of directing members to the sticky regarding posting rules. I'm not picking on you here at all Scully280, as this is a great post! Since I know a lot of folks will look at it I'll use this as a good spot to ask everyone to check out the rules about signing our posts with our real names:

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php/topic,2.0.html

It's easy to set up your member preferences so that your signature is automatically added to each post as you see at the bottom of this one. Go to the Quick Links menu pull down in the upper right of this page and select Edit Profile. Scroll to the bottom of that page and you will find Signature. You can put your name in there and it will be added automatically to all your posts.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline scully280

• View Profile
Re: R. Strauss L.A. Phil.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:36:11 PM »
Doc,

I did read the sticky and totally blew it.  Thanks for keeping us all honest.

Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: R. Strauss L.A. Phil.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »
I hate, and I mean HATE, warped metal reels! I just love the way that they look though. US recording media has plastic, three hole, 10.5" empty reels from RMGI. They're about $10 bucks each. I used to have a black plastic three hole (matte finish) that was pretty nice but I sold it with my A77 years ago. Hmm, I wonder if I could get a plastics shop to cut some round pieces that could screw into the hubs for a metal reel? Maybe we could get the Tape Project logo silkscreened onto it! Hey Doc,.. come to think of it, how about some tee shirts with the logo for subscribers? Caps? Condoms?!
Oops, forgot which forum I'm in. I second the Decca releases!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:21:49 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mobileholmes

• View Profile
Sollti-Chicago, Re: R. Strauss L.A. Phil.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:32:30 AM »
If Decca is a possibility, then why not the Solti-Chicago-Stravinsky-Rite of Spring?  It's a fabulous recording.  Great playing and sound.
Phillip Holmes
Tapes, tape decks, turntables, tonearms, cartridges, records......how am I still married?