TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Can My Machine Record as Stereo Half Track?  (Read 6215 times)

Offline commonman

• View Profile
Can My Machine Record as Stereo Half Track?
« on: October 12, 2008, 06:41:18 PM »
I've got a Revox A77.  I have not had it very long nor have I used it extensively.  I was reading the manual which came with it and noticed a discussion on "Track Positions."  Under this section there is a sub-section called "Stereo Half Track" which states the following: "When recording stereophonic signals two tracks are always used simultaneously. The left-hand channel is recorded on track 1 (upper) and the right-hand channel on track 2 (lower).  In the case of half track recording, the entire tape is recorded in one go. 

The section refers to half track machines and quarter track machines.  Is this Revox either one or the other?
Or can it act as both? 

I have a feeling that if there are four rectangles on the surface of the record and play-back heads, it's a quarter track machine, right?

I would like to record in "Stereo Half Track" mode, using the entire width of the tape in one direction.  Can I do this on this machine?

Jim Freschi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Can My Machine Record as Stereo Half Track?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
Ah ha! I can see that you haven't read my "Beginners Guide,.." that can be found in a sticky above the General forum. There are pictures of some different head assemblies there but the short answer is no, most A77's came as 1/4 track record and play. The standard model can be changed to record in 1/2 track stereo but it's pretty expensive. I did that to an A77 I had in 1975 and it was close to $400 at that time. I'd imagine it would be over $1k today (the three heads alone might cost that much). If you really want to record with the highest quality (for a reasonable amount of $$) you'd be better off finding a 1/2 track 15 inches per second machine and sell the A77.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline commonman

• View Profile
Re: Can My Machine Record as Stereo Half Track?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:33:50 PM »
OK, thanks for the info.  I will try to find the beginner's guide and read it.
Jim Freschi